• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alpha Republic - please advise or review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sabros123 View Post
    I am a healthcare professional that is very new to the contracting gig. My next assignment is happy for me to be paid via umbrella company, thus presumably saving me some money overall.
    I doubt that there will be any saving over and above the tax saving by pumping the cash into a pension. In fact, you may even be worse off as the umbrella company will have fees for their services.

A colleague has advised 'Alpha Republic Limited' to help me with this and states he has had no issue with them.
    This 'colleague' is not your friend. Avoid this person as their advice is likely to land you with a hefty tax bill a few short years down the road.

I have contacted them and they estimate I will be able to take home 75-80pc of my total pay: a base salary and a line of credit, that will increase my tax efficiency. They state that they have had full legal advice regarding this.
    Bollocks. Run away now.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give. I am very new to this and don't have really have trusted mentors to ask currently.
    You will find trusted voices here. We are mostly IT contractors and some of our number were hit very hard by unscrupulous umbrella services and can advise you appropriately.

Find a reputable umbrella service provider -- essentially just a payroll service with no fancy-pants 'schemes' behind the scenes -- and sleep well at night. You won't save much over being an employee, but you will be able to channel much more cash into a pension for the future.

Good luck... and pass on this advice to your colleagues.
    Last edited by wattaj; 21 May 2020, 10:53. Reason: Speillng.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

A colleague has advised 'Alpha Republic Limited' to help me with this and states he has had no issue with them.
      I can't add any more to the clear message you've already received, but do ask your colleague if he'd getting a referral bonus to introduce you. These shady schemes often offer such incentives.

If this colleague is someone you want to help, you should also advise him to get out of the scheme while he can.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        If this colleague is someone you want to help, you should also advise him to get out of the scheme while he can.
        ^^ This.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Blushing now, but thank you to all!

Hi sabros123, happy to talk you through things so you can make your own "educated" decision If you would like me to call at a convenient time, then let me know here.

Comment

Quite apart from the dodgy tax arrangements,

No Company info on the website - this is illegal.
            Domain name registered in March 2018.

Address on the website (Liverpool) doesn't match the address on companies house, which is a virtual office in London.

Company formed in 2014 but left dormant until 2018. Only one set of accounts ever filed.
            Website claims over 5 years of providing contractor services.

Appears to be a one man band with a single director, appointed in July 2018. Net assets of ~£65k at the last accounts. Not a lot to have as a buffer when you need to be paying "employees" while waiting for clients / agents to pay you.

Originally set up by one Waris Khan, lately of Pakistan with a correspondence address in Harley Street. Appears to have been involved in the setup of over 1000 companies in the last 6 years. Mostly keyword Ltd's - Currency Ltd, Shopping Ltd, Sex Diary Ltd (yes, really) etc. as well as a couple such as Nominee Director Ltd and Nominated Secretary Ltd that have then been used to hold directorships in hundreds of other companies.

Wouldn't touch it with someone else's tulipty stick.

EDIT: A bit more digging yields:

Alpha Republic sole director is Victoria Ellen O'Dea.

Fairly unique name, only one hit on LinkedIn.
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/victoria...alSubdomain=uk

No obvious connection to Alph Republic on her profile but, she lists her occupation as Administrator for Pendulum CS, which is a construction sector agency and umbrella company in Liverpool. Previous to that she was an administrator for FS Commercials who are another construction recruitment and employment agency also based in Liverpool. FS Commercials have previously been refused a Gangmasters Licence by the GLA for running a dodgy tax scheme.

Other previous experience is listed as 9 years as a Colon Hydrotherapist, yoga and meditation Instructor.

LinkdIn group memberships include Umbrella Company Provider.

Still wouldn't.
            Last edited by DaveB; 21 May 2020, 13:41.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              <snip> Sex Diary Ltd <snip> Colon Hydrotherapist <snip>
              I bet you're getting some good targeted ads now

Comment

No Company info on the website - this is illegal.
                Domain name registered in March 2018.

Address on the website (Liverpool) doesn't match the address on companies house, which is a virtual office in London.

Company formed in 2014 but left dormant until 2018. Only one set of accounts ever filed.
                Website claims over 5 years of providing contractor services.

Appears to be a one man band with a single director, appointed in July 2018. Net assets of ~£65k at the last accounts. Not a lot to have as a buffer when you need to be paying "employees" while waiting for clients / agents to pay you.

Originally set up by one Waris Khan, lately of Pakistan with a correspondence address in Harley Street. Appears to have been involved in the setup of over 1000 companies in the last 6 years. Mostly keyword Ltd's - Currency Ltd, Shopping Ltd, Sex Diary Ltd (yes, really) etc. as well as a couple such as Nominee Director Ltd and Nominated Secretary Ltd that have then been used to hold directorships in hundreds of other companies.

Wouldn't touch it with someone else's tulipty stick.

EDIT: A bit more digging yields:

Alpha Republic sole director is Victoria Ellen O'Dea.

Fairly unique name, only one hit on LinkedIn.
                https://www.linkedin.com/in/victoria...alSubdomain=uk

No obvious connection to Alph Republic on her profile but, she lists her occupation as Administrator for Pendulum CS, which is a construction sector agency and umbrella company in Liverpool. Previous to that she was an administrator for FS Commercials who are another construction recruitment and employment agency also based in Liverpool. FS Commercials have previously been refused a Gangmasters Licence by the GLA for running a dodgy tax scheme.

Other previous experience is listed as 9 years as a Colon Hydrotherapist, yoga and meditation Instructor.

LinkdIn group memberships include Umbrella Company Provider.

Still wouldn't.
                You've got to say, that is a lovely example of everything that is wrong with the umbrella industry right now. How about passing it on to your local MP...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If she's got experience as a colon hydrotherpist she will be used pulling people's pants down and bumming them so perfect material for a scheme type brolly.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    You've got to say, that is a lovely example of everything that is wrong with the umbrella industry right now. How about passing it on to your local MP...
                    If I thought it would do any good I would, but he's a Tory new boy who would rather discuss football on twitter with his cronies than engage with his constituents.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The filed accounts for FS Commercials show a related party loan relationship of £250000 - with Pendulum and also show a Peter Hudson as a common director.

Comment

Working...
                      X