• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella company recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella company recommendations

I am planning to start contracting, have just been made redundant from a permie job, and I think using an umbrella company would suit me. However, I am looking for recommendations for reputable umbrella companies. Can anyone help?

Originally posted by greggruner View Post
    I am planning to start contracting, have just been made redundant from a permie job, and I think using an umbrella company would suit me. However, I am looking for recommendations for reputable umbrella companies. Can anyone help?
    Happy to talk you through things Greg if you want, as it is a little different probably to what you are used to. If you're interested let me know here and I can call at your convenience.

I will then leave you to decide if we are reputable

Comment

I'd find yourself a contract offer before worrying about choosing an umbrella. Because the agency/client might insist that you choose an umbrella out of a shortlist they've set.

Comment

Swaine Adeney Brigg

Are the best of the best

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
          I'd find yourself a contract offer before worrying about choosing an umbrella. Because the agency/client might insist that you choose an umbrella out of a shortlist they've set.
          This !!! 100%

If the accept Ltd companies - fill your boots

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I recommend that you look at this site which has reviews relating specifically to the CJRS:
            Find fairer IR35 & CV19 clients, agents & brollys. OffPayroll.org.uk

Some umbrellas were very good at furloughing their contractors whereas a small number refused to participate.

Not only will it give you a good indication of how they treat their contractors, but choosing one who participated will give you some confidence you'll be furloughed should there ever be a need to reintroduce the scheme (God forbid).

Comment

Originally posted by Wary View Post
              I recommend that you look at this site which has reviews relating specifically to the CJRS:
              Find fairer IR35 & CV19 clients, agents & brollys. OffPayroll.org.uk

Some umbrellas were very good at furloughing their contractors whereas a small number refused to participate.

Not only will it give you a good indication of how they treat their contractors, but choosing one who participated will give you some confidence you'll be furloughed should there ever be a need to reintroduce the scheme (God forbid).
              From what I read no umbrellas were 'very good' at furloughing. It was a complete mess even in the best cases so with my pedant hat on I'm not sure that is the best yardstick.. and picking anything based on <cough> genuine <cough> public reviews as well..

And just just note offpayroll.org.uk were correcting some of the public feedback made about Contractor Umbrella on linkedin as well. It's not for the platform to be defending one particular companies feedback now is it.

OK to use it as a yard stick to avoid the really problem ones but bear the above in mind.

If you can use any brolly use Clarity Umbrella. Very well known and respected on here and I've personally been an employee with Lucy in the past.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                From what I read no umbrellas were 'very good' at furloughing. It was a complete mess even in the best cases so with my pedant hat on I'm not sure that is the best yardstick.. and picking anything based on <cough> genuine <cough> public reviews as well..

And just just note offpayroll.org.uk were correcting some of the public feedback made about Contractor Umbrella on linkedin as well. It's not for the platform to be defending one particular companies feedback now is it.

OK to use it as a yard stick to avoid the really problem ones but bear the above in mind.

If you can use any brolly use Clarity Umbrella. Very well known and respected on here and I've personally been an employee with Lucy in the past.
                Fair comment, especially as one can't be sure how genuine these reviews are.

Ironically I've just noticed Clarity Umbrella has their first review on this site, short but not-so-sweet, claiming that they would not pay JRS.

Lucy - as you post on this forum, please can you confirm whether you participated in CJRS, and the reasons for your decision?

Comment

Ironically I've just noticed Clarity Umbrella has their first review on this site, short but not-so-sweet, claiming that they would not pay JRS.
                  Would be interested in seeing where that is stated...

Lucy - as you post on this forum, please can you confirm whether you participated in CJRS, and the reasons for your decision?
                  We have furloughed our employees where their assignments have been terminated due to Covid - so would be interested to see the original statement removed from wherever it is.

Comment

Fair comment, especially as one can't be sure how genuine these reviews are.

And that is exactly the type of post you can't hang on. 4 words, no detail, no explaination of situation, nothing. What it should say to be even worth a hoot is 'They won't pay ME JRS'. Once contractor/empoyees situation is not that of everyone elses particularly in a situation that depends on the individuals circumstances.

That type of post only demonstrates what's wrong with that, and all other public feedback forums.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X