• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need to make a quick decision on an umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to make a quick decision on an umbrella

Hiya

I'm being given the option of PAYE or umbrella by a new client and need to decide on which route to take ASAP. It seems that umbrellas will give me a better take home pay, but I'm wary of them having been burned by dodgy ones in the past.

The client in question has a list of approved suppliers and I've heard of a few of them which is good...I think I have it down to a few contenders but can anyone give me a really quick 'yay or nay' on any if you have RECENT experience of any of the following:

- Giant
    - Parasol
    - Clearsky
    - Contractor Umbrella
    - Amaze

Huge thanks in advance

Hi Hollyhock,

They're all FCSA members so you won't be burnt by any of them.

I'm sure Clearsky is an accountancy provider though, not umbrella. Hmm.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
    Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

If you look at Find fairer IR35 & CV19 clients, agents & brollys. OffPayroll.org.uk, plenty of honest reviews

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
        Hi Hollyhock,

They're all FCSA members so you won't be burnt by any of them.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
        Many thanks for your help - I've done some more reading around and think I have a candidate in mind IF I decide to go the umbrella route.

I'm still wondering whether PAYE might be simpler, but I have a question I can't get an answer on from my agency.

The net pay amount they have quoted for PAYE is lower than the umbrella net pay - however - it doesn't include holiday. When I add the holiday pay I would accrue each day on PAYE, I get a better net pay for PAYE.

What I don't understand is what happens if I don't take any holiday, which is possible on a shortish contract.

Can anyone explain how this works? Would I still get the unused holiday pay back at the end of the contact? This would be a 'PEO' solution.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollyhock View Post
          Many thanks for your help - I've done some more reading around and think I have a candidate in mind IF I decide to go the umbrella route.

I'm still wondering whether PAYE might be simpler, but I have a question I can't get an answer on from my agency.

The net pay amount they have quoted for PAYE is lower than the umbrella net pay - however - it doesn't include holiday. When I add the holiday pay I would accrue each day on PAYE, I get a better net pay for PAYE.

What I don't understand is what happens if I don't take any holiday, which is possible on a shortish contract.

Can anyone explain how this works? Would I still get the unused holiday pay back at the end of the contact? This would be a 'PEO' solution.

Thank you.
          Yes, you would get any accrued holiday pay at the end of the contract. It should be in the T&Cs

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Yes, you would get any accrued holiday pay at the end of the contract. It should be in the T&Cs
            Many thanks - for some reason it really isn't clear, just says that you should 'aim to take your allotted time off' and that it 'won't be carried forward into a new year' - but I don't see anything about getting the full amount back at the end of a contract.

Possibly this is just too obvious/already covered by employment law for them to have to state it? But this being said, my agent didn't know the answer...

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
              Yep, all of their umbrella is through Parasol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollyhock View Post
                The net pay amount they have quoted for PAYE is lower than the umbrella net pay - however - it doesn't include holiday. When I add the holiday pay I would accrue each day on PAYE, I get a better net pay for PAYE. What I don't understand is what happens if I don't take any holiday, which is possible on a shortish contract. Can anyone explain how this works? Would I still get the unused holiday pay back at the end of the contact? This would be a 'PEO' solution.
                You will need to check on the PAYE that they are acruing an amount for holiday, in which case at the end of the assignment if you hadn't taken holiday then they have a legal obligation to pay you that back in the last pay packet. Umbrella will either acrue the holiday or sometimes roll it up and it is deemed to be paid back everytime they make a payment ot you, but is covered by the day rate (contract / invoice rate) given.

Comment

Working...
                X