• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giant or Contractor Umbrella?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant or Contractor Umbrella?

OK, so having decided to go down the umbrella route for a contract I have narrowed it down to these two options. I'm seeing more positive reviews for CU, but is that still the consensus here too?

Many thanks.

My experience with giant was not good, but cu never called me back so no idea

Comment

Contractor Umbrella is definitely a company to avoid, and you may find that most positive reviews relate back to their previous ownership (Lucy). See these two threads for a starter:
      https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...xperience.html
      https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...use-again.html

I recommend that anyone looking for an umbrella should choose one that participated in the CJRS furlough scheme. Not only will it give you a good indication of how they treat their contractors, but choosing one who participated will give you some confidence you'll be furloughed should there ever be a need to reintroduce the scheme.

Look at this site which has reviews relating specifically to the CJRS (but bear in mind that one can't be certain how genuine all of the reviews are):
      Find fairer IR35 & CV19 clients, agents & brollys. OffPayroll.org.uk

It seems that Giant did participate, whereas I can categorically confirm that Contractor Umbrella refused 100% to furlough any of their contractors.
      Last edited by Wary; 25 July 2020, 05:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Wary View Post
        Contractor Umbrella is definitely a company to avoid, and you may find that most positive reviews relate back to their previous management (Lucy). See these two threads for a starter:
        https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...xperience.html
        https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...use-again.html
        I recommend that anyone looking for an umbrella should choose one that participated in the CJRS furlough scheme. Not only will it give you a good indication of how they treat their contractors, but choosing one who participated will give you some confidence you'll be furloughed should there ever be a need to reintroduce the scheme.

Look at this site which has reviews relating specifically to the CJRS (but bear in mind that one can't be certain how genuine all of the reviews are):
        Find fairer IR35 & CV19 clients, agents & brollys. OffPayroll.org.uk

It seems that Giant did participate, whereas I can categorically confirm that Contractor Umbrella refused 100% to furlough any of their contractors.
        Clarity is an umbrella Lucy went off and created.

Elsewhere I'm hearing good things about Orca Pay Group
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Clarity is an umbrella Lucy went off and created.

Elsewhere I'm hearing good things about Orca Pay Group
          Problem is if there is a requirement for the FCSA, unfortunately at present that excludes both Clarity and Orca. hopefully that will change soon!

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
            Problem is if there is a requirement for the FCSA, unfortunately at present that excludes both Clarity and Orca. hopefully that will change soon!
            Yes, it's public sector and has that requirement attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollyhock View Post
              OK, so having decided to go down the umbrella route for a contract I have narrowed it down to these two options. I'm seeing more positive reviews for CU, but is that still the consensus here too?

Many thanks.
              Only worked via an umbrella once and it was CU - absolutely no issues. My account manager was always available. I'd happily work via them again.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Hollyhock View Post

Many thanks.
                CU have lost their sheen since Lucy left and i’ve had multiple issues with late payments. I’d probably go with Giant now just to use the cycle to work scheme.

Comment

I’ve been with CU for the last few months and have been fine. Payments on time.

Comment

Late payments was a persistent issue for me during my time with CU.

Comment

Working...
                    X