• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selecting Umbrella for my PAYE contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selecting Umbrella for my PAYE contract

My client moved me from Ltd. to PAYE in April even though the IR35 reform was delayed. Their argument was that most contractors had been moved to PAYE in February so would be unfair to have some to remain on Ltd. At that time they did not allow me to go via Umbrella Companies.

Using Agency Payroll is good in the sense that they pay weekly (less credit risk) and also contribute the minimum Pension contribution (though paltry) on top of my day rates. However they deduct 14% as holiday pay and use that to pay for any holidays I take. If I take no holidays by end of year, the holiday pay is lost and not paid.

Now at time of renewal they have given option to go via Umbrella. Is it fair to say that I can ask Umbrella Company to pay me the holiday pay every month and not retain it ? Also I presume that they can do a salary sacrifice and save the 2% NI though last month I made a 20K contribution to my SIPP for recovering tax already paid.

I am trying to make up my mind as there is a fee to pay to Umbrella Company and also the fact that by switching to Umbrella company I lose my 10 holidays which I accrued from April.
    Last edited by soln; 3 August 2020, 20:47.

Originally posted by soln View Post
    Using Agency Payroll is good in the sense that they pay weekly (less credit risk) and also contribute the minimum Pension contribution (though paltry) on top of my day rates. However they deduct 14% as holiday pay and use that to pay for any holidays I take. If I take no holidays by end of year, the holiday pay is lost and not paid.
    They do or they allow you to do it? You'd be better going for a brolly that allows you to make unlimted contributions to a good scheme. You can save fortune in tax/.
    Now at time of renewal they have given option to go via Umbrella. Is it fair to say that I can ask Umbrella Company to pay me the holiday pay every month and not retain it ? Also I presume that they can do a salary sacrifice and save the 2% NI though last month I made a 20K contribution to my SIPP for recovering tax already paid.

I am trying to make up my end as there is a fee to pay to Umbrella Company and also the fact that by switching to Umbrella company I lose my 9 holidays which I accrued from April.
    Speak to Clarity Umbrella. Lucy posts on here alot. She will give you a breakdown of how much you will take home. When I got offered agency PAYE or brolly I was not only better off on brolly but the unlimited pension contributions could have saved a crap load of tax.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi

The law is clear about Holiday pay - it needs to be paid either when you take holiday or where holiday isn't taken it should be paid as part of the final payment. If an agency hasn't paid you deducted holiday payments you can (and should) claim the money back.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        They do or they allow you to do it? You'd be better going for a brolly that allows you to make unlimted contributions to a good scheme. You can save fortune in tax/.

Speak to Clarity Umbrella. Lucy posts on here alot. She will give you a breakdown of how much you will take home. When I got offered agency PAYE or brolly I was not only better off on brolly but the unlimited pension contributions could have saved a crap load of tax.

The current forms did not give me a list of Umbrella companies so assume that I can choose my own.

I believe that the contributions are still limited to annual allowance of £40k from which I have already contributed £20k into my SIPP for this tax year to recover tax paid for last 4 months. Whether I contribute the remaining £20K into my SIPP or use Umbrella company to do it, the difference is only the 2% NI saved.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The law is clear about Holiday pay - it needs to be paid either when you take holiday or where holiday isn't taken it should be paid as part of the final payment. If an agency hasn't paid you deducted holiday payments you can (and should) claim the money back.
          The contract I signed says that the holidays need to be taken by end of year else I lose it. However as my original contract was only till 31 July (extended till 10 August) I accrued 10 holidays which is now too late for me to take. Technically if I continue on Agency's payroll I might still be able to take those holidays but they are clear that I cannot be paid in lieu.

Comment

The contract I signed says that the holidays need to be taken by end of year else I lose it. However as my original contract was only till 31 July (extended till 10 August) I accrued 10 holidays which is now too late for me to take. Technically if I continue on Agency's payroll I might still be able to take those holidays but they are clear that I cannot be paid in lieu.
            Point them at Holiday entitlement: Taking holiday before leaving a job - GOV.UK
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I will ask but they might argue that I am not technically leaving the contract mid-way but finishing the contract during which I was able to take the accrued holidays.

They are putting me on new contract on my request to change "title" which reflects my current role. I still need to take mandatory 2 weeks consecutive leave out of 11 accrued holidays till end of year and hence using "Umbrella company" may only benefit by getting holiday pay for few days.

Comment

They have not given me a list of Umbrella Companies so assume I can choose mine. I believe that the contributions are still capped at £40k per year as annual allowance out of which I have already put in £20K into my SIPP to recover some tax paid for this tax year.

Even though I save 2% NI by salary sacrifice arrangements, the downside is I need to use the Umbrella Companies Group Pension Scheme which usually has a 1-1.5% annual management fee whereas I have a fixed fee SIPP.

For my case, the only real benefit I see from Umbrella Company is the possibility of retaining holiday pay to be paid at end of year (or paid every month). However even that too is limited as I will accrue 11 holidays till end of year from which I need to take 10 consecutive leaves (including bank holidays) and hence that leaves a maximum of 3 holiday pay if I take the 10 leaves during Christmas.

Staying with my Agency payroll means I can take my leaves anytime and also possibly not lose my 10 accrued leaves. There are no Umbrella fees to pay as well.

This mess could have been avoided if my Agency allowed me to select an Umbrella company during April - but it was lockdown so options available were limited

Comment

They have not given me a list of Umbrella Companies so assume I can choose mine. I believe that the contributions are still capped at £40k per year as annual allowance out of which I have already put in £20K into my SIPP to recover some tax paid for this tax year.

Even though I save 2% NI by salary sacrifice arrangements, the downside is I need to use the Umbrella Companies Group Pension Scheme which usually has a 1-1.5% annual management fee whereas I have a fixed fee SIPP.

For my case, the only real benefit I see from Umbrella Company is the possibility of retaining holiday pay to be paid at end of year (or paid every month). However even that too is limited as I will accrue 11 holidays till end of year from which I need to take 10 consecutive leaves (including bank holidays) and hence that leaves a maximum of 3 holiday pay if I take the 10 leaves during Christmas.

Staying with my Agency payroll means I can take my leaves anytime and also possibly not lose my 10 accrued leaves. There are no Umbrella fees to pay as well.

This mess could have been avoided if my Agency allowed me to select an Umbrella company during April - but it was lockdown so options available were limited
                  There is always a fee to pay. When I had the option of agency PAYE or Umbrella the rates were slightly different. I very much doubt you are getting the agency to run your PAYE for free so I'd double check that.

Some brollies will allow you to pay in to your existing pension. Not sure if Clarity does. And I'd check about the holidays as well.

Lucy.. can you help here?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There is always a fee to pay. When I had the option of agency PAYE or Umbrella the rates were slightly different. I very much doubt you are getting the agency to run your PAYE for free so I'd double check that.

Some brollies will allow you to pay in to your existing pension. Not sure if Clarity does. And I'd check about the holidays as well.

Lucy.. can you help here?
                    That is a good point on the Agency PAYE and Umbrella rates. So far I have only been quoted a Base Day Rate from which they deduct holiday pay before calculating my day rate before employee income tax and national insurance. Employer's NI and Apprentice Levy are being paid to Agency on top by client.

Weirdly I have been asked for the Insurance (Professional Indemnity/Public Liability/Employers Liability) if I go Umbrella. Luckily I have not cancelled my existing Insurance but it runs out mid-November so will need to account for that costs as well. Not sure if that is standard even though I will not be using my Ltd. Co.

I missed considering saving on the Employer's NI when contributing into Pension via Salary Sacrifice. Now I am kicking myself for making a £20K personal pension contribution into my SIPP as I always considered 2% saving of Employee NI.
                    Last edited by soln; 3 August 2020, 23:12.

Comment

Working...
                    X