• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella company won't accept expenses submittals - help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella company won't accept expenses submittals - help!

Hi,

My contract which was due to end at the end of June was extended until the end of July.

My umbrella company set up a separate new assignment for the extra month.

Now i can't claim for any expenses prior to the new assignment, i.e. nothing from before 1st July. the only option i can select on the umbrella website is for the 1 month assignment for July.

My umbrella company have said:

"Thank you for your email.
    I have checked your employment record with reference to the enquiry below.
    As your contract of employment only restarted on the 1st July 2020 you may not claim for expenses prior to this date".

My expenses prior to 1st July were entered on my agencies' portal and approved and paid by the client. My agency said "we do generate a self-billing remittance which gives a breakdown down of everything you have entered on our portal, this gets sent to parasol once we have completed the payroll". ... so they were sent to Parasol.

These expenses are for mileage costs which averaged about £30/day and date back until July 2019 ...

Please don't tell me i've lost it all ... help!?

Originally posted by RuddyNorah View Post
    Hi,

My contract which was due to end at the end of June was extended until the end of July.

My umbrella company set up a separate new assignment for the extra month.

Now i can't claim for any expenses prior to the new assignment, i.e. nothing from before 1st July. the only option i can select on the umbrella website is for the 1 month assignment for July.

My umbrella company have said:

"Thank you for your email.
    I have checked your employment record with reference to the enquiry below.
    As your contract of employment only restarted on the 1st July 2020 you may not claim for expenses prior to this date".

My expenses prior to 1st July were entered on my agencies' portal and approved and paid by the client. My agency said "we do generate a self-billing remittance which gives a breakdown down of everything you have entered on our portal, this gets sent to parasol once we have completed the payroll". ... so they were sent to Parasol.

These expenses are for mileage costs which averaged about £30/day and date back until July 2019 ...

Please don't tell me i've lost it all ... help!?

Probably - most companies will only allow expenses to be carried back a month or 2 at most - consultancies will insist on expenses being submitted before the end of the month to ensure they are billed correctly and immediately.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Oh good grief, i never knew that, i just assumed the agency were forwarding the expenses claims onto the umbrella as they were all listed as "approved and exported" on the agency portal. .. so where's the money from the expenses now? i assume the client has paid it to the agency and they have it? .. it must be about £7k .. i feel awful!

Comment

Oh good grief, i never knew that, i just assumed the agency were forwarding the expenses claims onto the umbrella as they were all listed as "approved and exported" on the agency portal. .. so where's the money from the expenses now? i assume the client has paid it to the agency and they have it? .. it must be about £7k .. i feel awful!
        What are you not telling us here?

Why did you not claim sooner?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

You need to have a look at your previous payslips from Parasol along with the self bill invoices from the agency. The self bill from the agency should show your expenses going to the Parasol. On your payslip you should see all of that appearing as umbrella income/contractor invoice reconciliation or something similar. If it is the case then the umbrella has almost certainly paid you the expenses but have taxed them as income i.e. Employer/Employee NI and PAYE tax. This is were the umbrella expenses system comes in - you didn't enter them on their system so they didn't know they had to be treated as expenses.

From what you have said I don't think the expenses would be allowable anyway. If they were for day to day travel to the site and you were on site for more than 40% of the time of the contract length then they are taxable. In the umbrella and HMRC eyes your permanent location was that site.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Probably - most companies will only allow expenses to be carried back a month or 2 at most - consultancies will insist on expenses being submitted before the end of the month to ensure they are billed correctly and immediately.
            Oh dear. I've submitted expenses after year end. Company policies are made up. Debts owed are debts owed. Done it as permie and contractor. Mistakes happen. There are ways of dealing with it.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
            X