Umbrella company won't accept expenses submittals - help! Umbrella company won't accept expenses submittals - help!
Posts 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    5

    Default Umbrella company won't accept expenses submittals - help!

    Hi,

    My contract which was due to end at the end of June was extended until the end of July.

    My umbrella company set up a separate new assignment for the extra month.

    Now i can't claim for any expenses prior to the new assignment, i.e. nothing from before 1st July. the only option i can select on the umbrella website is for the 1 month assignment for July.

    My umbrella company have said:

    "Thank you for your email.
    I have checked your employment record with reference to the enquiry below.
    As your contract of employment only restarted on the 1st July 2020 you may not claim for expenses prior to this date".

    My expenses prior to 1st July were entered on my agencies' portal and approved and paid by the client. My agency said "we do generate a self-billing remittance which gives a breakdown down of everything you have entered on our portal, this gets sent to parasol once we have completed the payroll". ... so they were sent to Parasol.

    These expenses are for mileage costs which averaged about £30/day and date back until July 2019 ...

    Please don't tell me i've lost it all ... help!?



    

  2. #2

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    25,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RuddyNorah View Post
    Hi,

    My contract which was due to end at the end of June was extended until the end of July.

    My umbrella company set up a separate new assignment for the extra month.

    Now i can't claim for any expenses prior to the new assignment, i.e. nothing from before 1st July. the only option i can select on the umbrella website is for the 1 month assignment for July.

    My umbrella company have said:

    "Thank you for your email.
    I have checked your employment record with reference to the enquiry below.
    As your contract of employment only restarted on the 1st July 2020 you may not claim for expenses prior to this date".

    My expenses prior to 1st July were entered on my agencies' portal and approved and paid by the client. My agency said "we do generate a self-billing remittance which gives a breakdown down of everything you have entered on our portal, this gets sent to parasol once we have completed the payroll". ... so they were sent to Parasol.

    These expenses are for mileage costs which averaged about £30/day and date back until July 2019 ...

    Please don't tell me i've lost it all ... help!?



    
    Probably - most companies will only allow expenses to be carried back a month or 2 at most - consultancies will insist on expenses being submitted before the end of the month to ensure they are billed correctly and immediately.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  3. #3

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Oh good grief, i never knew that, i just assumed the agency were forwarding the expenses claims onto the umbrella as they were all listed as "approved and exported" on the agency portal. .. so where's the money from the expenses now? i assume the client has paid it to the agency and they have it? .. it must be about £7k .. i feel awful!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RuddyNorah View Post
    Oh good grief, i never knew that, i just assumed the agency were forwarding the expenses claims onto the umbrella as they were all listed as "approved and exported" on the agency portal. .. so where's the money from the expenses now? i assume the client has paid it to the agency and they have it? .. it must be about £7k .. i feel awful!
    What are you not telling us here?

    Why did you not claim sooner?


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  5. #5

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RuddyNorah View Post
    Oh good grief, i never knew that, i just assumed the agency were forwarding the expenses claims onto the umbrella as they were all listed as "approved and exported" on the agency portal. .. so where's the money from the expenses now? i assume the client has paid it to the agency and they have it? .. it must be about £7k .. i feel awful!
    You need to have a look at your previous payslips from Parasol along with the self bill invoices from the agency. The self bill from the agency should show your expenses going to the Parasol. On your payslip you should see all of that appearing as umbrella income/contractor invoice reconciliation or something similar. If it is the case then the umbrella has almost certainly paid you the expenses but have taxed them as income i.e. Employer/Employee NI and PAYE tax. This is were the umbrella expenses system comes in - you didn't enter them on their system so they didn't know they had to be treated as expenses.

    From what you have said I don't think the expenses would be allowable anyway. If they were for day to day travel to the site and you were on site for more than 40% of the time of the contract length then they are taxable. In the umbrella and HMRC eyes your permanent location was that site.

  6. #6

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    23,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Probably - most companies will only allow expenses to be carried back a month or 2 at most - consultancies will insist on expenses being submitted before the end of the month to ensure they are billed correctly and immediately.
    Oh dear. I've submitted expenses after year end. Company policies are made up. Debts owed are debts owed. Done it as permie and contractor. Mistakes happen. There are ways of dealing with it.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •