• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella for ad hoc work..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got the same problem - taking a fixed term contract on payroll so wanting to close my Ltd but wanting to support previous client preferably via umbrella.
    The support wouldn't earn enough to keep paying the accountants monthly and I don't really fancy doing all the limited company paperwork myself.

The Ltd is registered at the accountants address too, is that easy to change and what are the implications of basically sacking my accountants (after they've done my just finished year end preferably)??

Company bank account is fairly low too - enough to meet corp tax, vat and accountants fees but little spare.

Comment

Same for me, just about to finish contract in March, then there is scope for a "couple of days here and there" with same client, sprinkled into my retirement plan.

I'm erring towards keeping the Ltd open and working as a "deemed" contractor through my limited, as with the umbrella fees it wont be worth working a couple of days a month only, even if they let me do this!

There seems to be a few of us in the same boat on this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Royston1664 View Post
        Same for me, just about to finish contract in March, then there is scope for a "couple of days here and there" with same client, sprinkled into my retirement plan.

I'm erring towards keeping the Ltd open and working as a "deemed" contractor through my limited, as with the umbrella fees it wont be worth working a couple of days a month only, even if they let me do this!

There seems to be a few of us in the same boat on this one!
        I would have thought an umbrella would be perfect for that. On weekly umbrella billing you'd only get charged when you worked rather than having the set cost of annual accountancy fees. I shut my Ltd and work through a £10 a week umbrella, so if I work 15 weeks this year it'll cost me £150.

Comment

Ah that's interesting, most of the posts at the start of this thread say this is not possible as "this is the most complicated thing an umbrella company can do"

Which umbrella company do you use if you don't mind me asking.

This would also mean I can MVL and get my funds out so would be perfect.

Comment

Do they let you just dip in and out every week you choose, not want their money every week regardless?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              I would have thought an umbrella would be perfect for that. On weekly umbrella billing you'd only get charged when you worked rather than having the set cost of annual accountancy fees. I shut my Ltd and work through a £10 a week umbrella, so if I work 15 weeks this year it'll cost me £150.
              How would the umbrella get around this issue?

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post

It's all down to the 336 hours we have to guarantee in any annual period, which equates to around 1 day per week.
              See Umbrella factsheet 2018.19 FINAL.pdf (litrg.org.uk) for details
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Royston1664 View Post
                Do they let you just dip in and out every week you choose, not want their money every week regardless?
                TBH I have worked most weeks even though that wasn't my intention. But on weeks I haven't billed then yes no charge. I was with Liberty Bishop, and then got transferred to JSA, I assume they bought them.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  How would the umbrella get around this issue?

See Umbrella factsheet 2018.19 FINAL.pdf (litrg.org.uk) for details
                  Dunno. Not something I was aware of. I guess the poster needs to ring and ask a few umbrellas.

I just re-read the full thread, I have worked enough to meet the criteria but it wasn't raised with me in advance. Maybe they would have flagged it up if I didn't appear to be working that much.
                  Last edited by rootsnall; 18 January 2021, 15:29.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    You're making a huge assumption that an umbrella would employee someone (and have to pay them minimum wage) on the back of a contract consisting of a "couple of days here and there".
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 18 January 2021, 15:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      You're making a huge assumption that an umbrella would employee someone (and have to pay them minimum wage) on the back of a contract consisting of a "couple of days here and there".
                      How would any umbrella know in advance how much work there is going to be ? I would describe my intended work pattern as 'a few days here and there' but I've never known a contract that actually turns out that way.

Comment

Working...
                      X