• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella for ad hoc work..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella for ad hoc work..

After 20 years contracting I took a permie role a little over a year ago and MVL'd my Ltd.

I've been approached by a former client who would like me to do some work on a very ad hoc basis. It could easily be weeks or months between invoices - at this stage I just don't know. Are there any umbrella co's that will work in this way without wanting to take their weekly cut - i.e. just take a fee per invoice?

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
    After 20 years contracting I took a permie role a little over a year ago and MVL'd my Ltd.

I've been approached by a former client who would like me to do some work on a very ad hoc basis. It could easily be weeks or months between invoices - at this stage I just don't know. Are there any umbrella co's that will work in this way without wanting to take their weekly cut - i.e. just take a fee per invoice?
    Unlikely as it's just about the most complex thing an umbrella can be asked to do.

Is there any reason why you can't do it on a self-employed / freelance basis?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That’s not how umbrellas work I’m afraid

No is the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

There has to be a guarantee of at least 1 days work a week for an umbrella to fulfil their obligations as the employer, so if they cannot guarantee that then it is probably a no go - but if you want to talk through what they are propsing, then feel free to give me a call

Comment

Any way of doing the work as a sole trader and paying the tax on your SA?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            This would be my immediate go to

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Hopefully... I'm still in discussions with the ex-client; they are a consultancy and needless to say once they found out I had the time for a bit of ad-hoc work the potentially scope has grown to another project as well.

I'm waiting for them to get back to me on ST. I've known the owners of the business for almost 20 years so that might help in this instance.

Failing that then I might be able to do enough to concoct something that could pass contractually as one day per week and then look at how that would stack up with Lucy... one of the gigs they would like me to do is an out of hours on-call service so I could work something around that to ensure a run-rate of at least one day per week.

Comment

Happy to speak dependent on the outcome

Comment

Hopefully... I'm still in discussions with the ex-client; they are a consultancy and needless to say once they found out I had the time for a bit of ad-hoc work the potentially scope has grown to another project as well.

I'm waiting for them to get back to me on ST. I've known the owners of the business for almost 20 years so that might help in this instance.

Failing that then I might be able to do enough to concoct something that could pass contractually as one day per week and then look at how that would stack up with Lucy... one of the gigs they would like me to do is an out of hours on-call service so I could work something around that to ensure a run-rate of at least one day per week.
                  Umbrellas are the least efficient and most painful way to work. They cost the most money and cause the most problems. The only benefit would be reduced liability as ST gives you almost unlimited personal liability. Umbrella is another layer between you and the clients money as well. We all have stories of waiting for months to get paid from an umbrella company thats ******* us around.

Comment

Bump... just coming back to this. Volume/frequency of work still somewhat unknown but the opportunity is there for next year.

The client is open to Sole Trader but as far as I can see this isn't an option due to my MVL and TAAR or would others disagree?

I MVL'd after taking permanent employment in mid 2019 however the final distribution was not until March this year.

As far as I can see I need to persuade the client to pay me PAYE (unlikely to happen), or ensure there is at least a days work every week to make it worthwhile for a brolly?

Although my circumstances are not that different to Mr A here... except I didn't need and therefore wound up my Ltd due to the permanent role (rather than retirement), and the small amount of as hoc work doesn't require a Ltd.
                    A TAAR which is not so targeted East Midlands : Johnson Tidsall

Having said that, I've seen other examples that say I'd be caught which is my understanding. Frustrating as it stops me helping out an old client and it's not really about the money as it would only be a few quid.

Could I do the work voluntarily and unpaid I wonder, or does that still consitute a "trade"?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                    Last edited by Crossroads; 3 December 2020, 00:37.

Comment

Working...
                    X