• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

umbrella company advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umbrella company advice

Hi, I work for a nursing agency for different hospitals in my area.
    I was asked if I wanted to join an umbrella company called elite managememt and consultancy.
    The take home is 84%, they make a minimal wage payment and the rest paid as capital investment without tax due on it.
    Has anyone had any experience with this umbrella?
    I couldn't find many reviews or info, there is only a topic about it on this forum.
    Thank you

Originally posted by mtro27 View Post
    I was asked if I wanted to join an umbrella company called elite managememt and consultancy.
    The take home is 84%, they make a minimal wage payment and the rest paid as capital investment without tax due on it.
    I couldn't find many reviews or info, there is only a topic about it on this forum.
    Thank you
    Please do not use them. Anything saying you are only paying 16% in tax, NI and fees is doing something that HMRC will not take kindly to.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Please do not use them. Anything saying you are only paying 16% in tax, NI and fees is doing something that HMRC will not take kindly to.
      Also, please advise your friends and colleagues that such agencies are VERY bad news. Avoid.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Thank you
        Run a mile from them....

This forum will explain why https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...eme-enquiries/ .

even if the choice is this contract or unemployment for your longer term (financial and mental) well being unemployment would be the far saner option
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I thought there may be something dodgy with it. Anyway, where i work almost every single contractor within the same agency use this umbrella. They haven't reported any problem so far.

I also asked tax advisors directly, but they are not able to give me an answer.
          Just advised to walk away.
          Last edited by mtro27; 17 August 2020, 07:30.

Comment

Agencies receive a massive commission for pushing people into these companies.

They are in it for themselves, not for the love of you, believe me.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I thought there may be something dodgy with it. Anyway, where i work almost every single contractor within the same agency use this umbrella. They haven't reported any problem so far.

I also asked hmrc directly, but they are not able to give me an answer.
              Just advised to walk away.
              HMRC are slow at picking these things up as even at the best of times they only notice issues when they see the final figures at the end of the year - which means it can take a very long time.

And I suspect the kickbacks involved are giving the agency a very nice profit margin...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                They are in it for themselves, not for the love of you, believe me.
                HMRC need to set up to the mark and start prosecuting those agencies for recommending these schemes. I thnk we need to see a big court case that highlights this sooner or later. I have spoken to a couple of agencies who are simply happy to turn a blind eye when the contractor insists on using them. I have to say the ones I have come across are all in the healthcare industry. If only it got back to the NHS as debt liability at some point!

Comment

Dishonest Assistance Claims Against Agencies

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
                  HMRC need to set up to the mark and start prosecuting those agencies for recommending these schemes. I thnk we need to see a big court case that highlights this sooner or later. I have spoken to a couple of agencies who are simply happy to turn a blind eye when the contractor insists on using them. I have to say the ones I have come across are all in the healthcare industry. If only it got back to the NHS as debt liability at some point!
                  If a liquidator found out that agencies had repeatedly referred contractors to this sort of avoidance scheme, he/she could sue the agencies for the tax losses on the basis that, to generate a higher than normal commission, they'd knowingly turned a blind eye to the tax avoidance taking place

And it's easier to pursue one agency than a hundred contractors ………...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Richardson GT Leeds View Post
                    If a liquidator found out that agencies had repeatedly referred contractors to this sort of avoidance scheme, he/she could sue the agencies for the tax losses on the basis that, to generate a higher than normal commission, they'd knowingly turned a blind eye to the tax avoidance taking place

And it's easier to pursue one agency than a hundred contractors ………...
                    To your knowledge, has this ever happened?

Comment

Working...
                    X