• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claim Back Monies From Your Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claim Back Monies From Your Umbrella

I have come across a company saying they can reclaim employers national insurance and apprenticeship levy which has been deducted by the brolly from the worker. Could be a tidy sum to get back and I should imagine their phones will be busy....lol

Number; 08000 654 654

Home - Umbrella Reclaim

Originally posted by BenDover View Post
    I have come across a company saying they can reclaim employers national insurance and apprenticeship levy which has been deducted by the brolly from the worker. Could be a tidy sum to get back and I should imagine their phones will be busy....lol

Number; 08000 654 654

Home - Umbrella Reclaim

Um given an umbrella survives on stupidly small margins what money will you be getting back when the umbrella closes down. I would love to know how you an umbrella firm could repay £1,107.06 (Employer NI for 20 days at £500 a day) from a £60-100 fee.

Meanwhile you will pay them £102 and never see that back - I wonder if the plan will be to charge more later...
    Last edited by eek; 23 September 2020, 14:11.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Um given an umbrella survives on stupidly small margins what money will you be getting back when the umbrella closes down. I would love to know how you an umbrella firm could repay £1,107.06 (Employer NI for 20 days at £500 a day) from a £60-100 fee.

Meanwhile you will pay them £102 and never see that back - I wonder if the plan will be to charge more later...
      We could sit and guess all day long, why not give them a call and ask how it works? Don't shoot the messenger!

Comment

I would love to know how you an umbrella firm could repay £1,107.06 (Employer NI for 20 days at £500 a day)
        I suspect they will be looking at the brolly's insurance cover

Tidy business model! Charge a registration fee and sail off to the hills...

M

Comment

We could sit and guess all day long, why not give them a call and ask how it works? Don't shoot the messenger!
          I'm not sitting and guessing - nor am I wasting time talking to them as on multiple levels I want them to succeed.

The issue is that I know how this industry works and there is no pot of money to pay the money they are likely to win so it's a fool's errand for everyone except the law firm.

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
            I suspect they will be looking at the brolly's insurance cover

Tidy business model! Charge a registration fee and sail off to the hills...

M
            What type of insurance policy cover is going to pay out?

The thing is that I was expecting cases like this to appear but I really don't see any source of money to repay the money lost in Employer NI as it doesn't exist and you can't recover from HMRC the money that was sent to HMRC.

Equally I don't actually think it's the umbrellas who are in the wrong here it's the agencies who are responsible for incorrect advertisements in the first place.
            Last edited by eek; 23 September 2020, 11:14.

Comment

What type of insurance policy cover is going to pay out?

The thing is that I was expecting cases like this to appear but I really don't see any source of money to repay the money lost in Employer NI as it doesn't exist and you can't recover from HMRC the money that was sent to HMRC.

Equally I don't actually think it's the umbrellas who are in the wrong here it's the agencies who are responsible for incorrect advertisements in the first place.

PI cover comes to mind... but general insurance ought to cover getting sued by your clients ... and that insurer will then try and sue up the chain to satisfy your assertation that its the agency who is liable...

(I kinda agree with you that the agency is at fault ultimately, but as "my" employer is the brolly, that's who I sue...)

M

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
                PI cover comes to mind... but general insurance ought to cover getting sued by your clients ... and that insurer will then try and sue up the chain to satisfy your assertation that its the agency who is liable...

(I kinda agree with you that the agency is at fault ultimately, but as "my" employer is the brolly, that's who I sue...)

M
                I called them to ask how this all works, apparently the liability is passed back down the chain to the agency and then client. The £102 is a one off payment and you are to register online.

There was a case won against a brolly last year which is now about to open the floodgates for claims. the claim goes back 6 years and they fully expect the brolly to shut up shop as they will not have the money to repay the worker. Being forced towards a brolly was a factor but more so that the breakdown of payment(s) was not in writing.

Comment

I called them to ask how this all works, apparently the liability is passed back down the chain to the agency and then client. The £102 is a one off payment and you are to register online.

There was a case won against a brolly last year which is now about to open the floodgates for claims. the claim goes back 6 years and they fully expect the brolly to shut up shop as they will not have the money to repay the worker. Being forced towards a brolly was a factor but more so that the breakdown of payment(s) was not in writing.
                  I pity the client in that case but it does mean that no client is going to be offering anything other than fixed term PAYE contracts in the future...

Comment

Anyone thinking of doing this may want to look at https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2774521

It seems the original case wasn't contested so the case umbrella reclaim is using as the basis of their claim may be completely irrelevant as it is a default judgement due to no defence being offered.

Which means that there is currently no basis to justify the claim that it was affirmed by a judgement - as there was no defence to judge which won't be the case if this plan got anywhere.
                    Last edited by eek; 23 September 2020, 14:40.

Comment

Working...
                    X