• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FCSA - Confused

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I only pay attention to FCSA as they claim to do things they can't do and the problems they are creating by ignoring the herd of elephants / tax avoidance schemes that are in the room alongside them (although I have multiple reasons to believe that one elephant has managed to find enough orange paint to trick everyone into becoming a member).

And in reality the FCSA only provides 1 thing - a comfort blanket for agencies to allow them to avoid doing what would otherwise be very painful due diligence.

I also don't think that none payment is a likely issue here, the greatest risk for contractors is that the umbrella firm is actually a scheme or that the contractor has money outstanding if the umbrella blows up...

But your post has given me an idea as I think I now know how to solve a few problems with a single stone...
    I have to say I'm just as intrigued.....

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
      Now that is intriguing, would you care to share here or perhaps offline? If offline, I will be at my desk until 4.30 pm. You will be able reach me in the pub after 5pm.
      Having slept on it overnight I actually think it will work and I think it fixes every annoyance a have with the industry in ways that will help the connected parties.

I'm going to run it past Lucy and a couple of other umbrellas on Monday then I may give you a call.
      Last edited by eek; 3 October 2020, 07:22.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
        Interesting.

I don't see any regulatory teeth.

Because they are NOT a regulator. They are NOT government appointed, nor legally armed.

FCSA: "We are the UK's leading membership body for compliant umbrella companies, limited company accountants and CIS payroll providers"

Vs

Gas Safe: "Gas Safe Register is the only official gas registration body of gas businesses and engineers in the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Guernsey. By law all gas businesses must be on the Gas Safe Register."

Gas safe is government "enabled" trade body and there is a legal requirement to be registered if you work on Gas equipment. FCSA is not.

M
        Last edited by mjcp; 5 October 2020, 08:18.

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
          Because they are NOT a regulator. They are NOT government appointed, nor legally armed.

They are a trade body.

M
          Yet that is how they advertise themselves to agencies who don't do any research. Mind you at this minute (being very careful with the choice of word there) there is no better option for agencies to use as a check as to the honesty of the company so a self selected members club with intentionally high barrier to joining is just about the only option that doesn't involve insanely large amounts of paperwork.

Oh and HMRC don't want to regulate this industry for there is a world of pain (and probably multiple acts of parliament).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Yet that is how they advertise themselves to agencies who don't do any research. Mind you at this minute (being very careful with the choice of word there) there is no better option for agencies to use as a check as to the honesty of the company so a self selected members club with intentionally high barrier to joining is just about the only option that doesn't involve insanely large amounts of paperwork.

Oh and HMRC don't want to regulate this industry for there is a world of pain (and probably multiple acts of parliament).

Comment

Working...
            X