• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things seem to be different from 2 years ago

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things seem to be different from 2 years ago

Worked through a brolly and take home was 67%, same client and brolly take home is now 58%.Inside IR35 public sector. So what changed?

Tax code.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Faked expenses?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You were on a loan scheme back then and not realised

58% is still to high by 4-5 %

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Day rate increased moving you tax brackets?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            You were on a loan scheme back then and not realised

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            Oh the irony, HMRC PSL recommending a loan brolly. No, just profit share.
            Last edited by anonymouse; 1 October 2020, 17:37.

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
              Day rate increased moving you tax brackets?
              New one is 10% less than the old one, but good point though.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                58% sounds about normal from my experience; I assume that it depends on your daily rate, and therefore how much PAYE they estimate. Also on whether you're making pension contributions.

Quantifying it a bit (for a 5 day week):
                • Dec 2018, Sapphire DNP, £200/day. Take home pay was £657/£1000 = 65%. (No pension contributions.)
                • Jun 2019, Contractor Umbrella, £300/day. Take home pay was £961/£1500 = 64% (no pension contributions).
                • Jan 2020, Contractor Umbrella, £300/day. Take home pay was £844/£1500 = 56% (with pension contributions).
                • Apr 2020, NASA Umbrella, £280/day. Take home pay was £835/£1400 = 60% (no pension contributions).
                • Sep 2020, NASA Umbrella, £280/day. Take home pay was £798/£1400 = 57% (with pension contributions).

I got a tax rebate for the past 2 financial years (partly due to a few months on the bench), so Sapphire and Contractor Umbrella definitely weren't underestimating the PAYE. Maybe that would be different if you're earning all year round, but that seems optimistic in the current climate!

Comment

Working...
                X