• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella companies

Can you work through more than one Umbrella company.? So for example I use one I am happy with but a job comes up with an agency that uses a PSL and I have to use another one for that job, can I stay with the one I like and then join a new one for that role then leave when I finish that job and carry on using the one I like.

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    Can you work through more than one Umbrella company.? So for example I use one I am happy with but a job comes up with an agency that uses a PSL and I have to use another one for that job, can I stay with the one I like and then join a new one for that role then leave when I finish that job and carry on using the one I like.
    Ideally you should be able to stick to the umbrella company you like as that offers a certain continuation of employment that banks and others like to see but there are valid reasons (even beyond kickbacks) why an agency may insist on you using their chosen umbrellas. This is one of the things I'm hoping to fix in the near future.

But as that isn't an option at the moment there is nothing wrong in moving between umbrella companies and your current one should be able to issue and pass a P45 to your new umbrella company.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi curtis,

Yes, that is fine. You could even be employed by two umbrella companies at the same time, but would have to watch out for the BR tax code.

Thanks

Zeeshan
      Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

The reason I ask is an agency has just told me I can be signed up to as many umbrella companies as I like no problem and being an agency I did not trust him so thought I would ask!

Comment

Hi curtis, have they given you a specific list you MUST choose from or made specific requirements for your choice of umbrella ie to be FCSA accredited? I have seen some contractors recently challenge the agency, the agency has then done due diligence on the brolly and allowed them to work with them, just a thought.

Comment

Lucy, I challenged them they said no as apparently they tried in the past to do their checks with the umbrella I use (your old one) and they said there was an issue with insurance or something like that and it was a definate no. I'm coming up against this more and more its frustrating.
            Last edited by curtis; 12 October 2020, 18:04.

Comment

Lucy, I challenged them they said no as apparently they tried in the past to do their checks with the umbrella I use (your old one) and they said there was an issue with insurance or something like that and it was a definate no. I'm coming up against this more and more its frustrating.
              I'm not that surprised as verifying that an umbrella company is actually honest is hard work - and FCSA certification isn't anywhere near enough to verify that an umbrella firm is honest. Mind you insurance is a weird issue to fall down on...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I'm not that surprised as verifying that an umbrella company is actually honest is hard work - and FCSA certification isn't anywhere near enough to verify that an umbrella firm is honest. Mind you insurance is a weird issue to fall down on...
                That depends on who is insuring for what, surely...

For example, will the umbrella assure the agency that they will not play games with the fees they receive so that the agency isn't stuck with a tax investigation. And will pay the agency if that happens...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  That depends on who is insuring for what, surely...

For example, will the umbrella assure the agency that they will not play games with the fees they receive so that the agency isn't stuck with a tax investigation. And will pay the agency if that happens...
                  You would hope that FCSA (who claim their agencies are gold standard) was enough for agencies and that their once a year check would catch such issues.

It's almost like you are suggesting that the only way an agency (or contractor) can be sure that an umbrella isn't dodgy would be by a separate third party independently verifying every calculation and payment.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    It's almost like you are suggesting that the only way an agency (or contractor) can be sure that an umbrella isn't dodgy would be by a separate third party independently verifying every calculation and payment.
                    Is this your new brainchild Eek? I've been avidly waiting to see what your idea is haha.

Comment

Working...
                    X