• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JSA umbrella and Aegon pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    For the contract work prior to switching to the umbrella (as although measterbrook can claim that the contract is outside the actions of his client show that the client felt it was an inside IR35 contract).
    Aha, I'm with you now.

Comment

Nice IR35 case there were HMRC to come calling..
      No, they banned LtdCo and requested Umbrella at the same rate. I walked. So did too many others. Two months down the line they had been forced to allow home working by Covid and offered an increased rate - I accepted on the condition of home working mornings only. It would be difficult to show it was the same working conditions before and after the gap. Hopefully HMRC have lower hanging fruit to pick, and haven't they re-deployed all the IR35 investigators onto all the Covid fraud - that will keep them occupied for years.
      Anyway, I still have my "HMRC confirms outside IR35" letter from the conclusion of the last "records check" they tried on me.

Comment

Originally posted by measterbrook View Post
        No, they banned LtdCo and requested Umbrella at the same rate. I walked. So did too many others. Two months down the line they had been forced to allow home working by Covid and offered an increased rate - I accepted on the condition of home working mornings only. It would be difficult to show it was the same working conditions before and after the gap
        IMO any changes to location and conditions when used as a differentiator between a perm and contractor are irrelevant in these times. Clients being flexible about WFH affects the entire country right now so I most certainly wouldn't be relying on that as any kind of defence for anything.

Hopefully HMRC have lower hanging fruit to pick, and haven't they re-deployed all the IR35 investigators onto all the Covid fraud - that will keep them occupied for years.
        Another very dangerous assumption. This exercise will pay for itself and if there is money to be had they'll throw resources at it. I'd say even your situation falls in to a low hanging fruit area or at least up there. Letters to the client like GSK would also work in this situation.
        If there is money to be had in these times I'd have thought there will be MORE focus on investigations not less right now.

Anyway, I still have my "HMRC confirms outside IR35" letter from the conclusion of the last "records check" they tried on me.
        Which is about the only real comment of any worth. This should certainly help.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by measterbrook View Post
          Is anyone here using JSA Umbrella and is paying via salary sacrifice into an Aegon pension? I want to check if what JSA and Aegon are telling me is correct. This is an issue only related to JSA and Aegon.
          I'm not sure if this relates to your query but I had a call from JSA yesterday who said they couldn't work with Standard Life, Aviva or Aegon on a Salary Sacrifice Pension basis as those pension companies would only accept payments by Direct Debit and JSA will only operate by Bank Transfer.
          JSA's argument, I was told, being they weren't prepared to set up DD's on the basis of - Admin effort on their part but more importantly a Direct Debit will always pay out, from a JSA bank account, and if you don't work for a period (of a week or two or more) in a month there may not be enough income from your work in a month to cover the Direct Debit payment from their bank account.

Anyone know if that is a common issue with any other Brollies - as my pension is currently with Standard Life.

Comment

Originally posted by richt5a View Post
            I'm not sure if this relates to your query but I had a call from JSA yesterday who said they couldn't work with Standard Life, Aviva or Aegon on a Salary Sacrifice Pension basis as those pension companies would only accept payments by Direct Debit and JSA will only operate by Bank Transfer.
            JSA's argument, I was told, being they weren't prepared to set up DD's on the basis of - Admin effort on their part but more importantly a Direct Debit will always pay out, from a JSA bank account, and if you don't work for a period (of a week or two or more) in a month there may not be enough income from your work in a month to cover the Direct Debit payment from their bank account.

Anyone know if that is a common issue with any other Brollies - as my pension is currently with Standard Life.
            I know for a fact that NASA does allow salary sacrifice transfers to into a pre-existing Aviva pension. I don't know if its a DD or a SO between NASA and Aviva, but I do know that the amount can vary month-on-month, depending on how many billable days there has been in that month.

Comment

Direct debits are a problem for an umbrella as it means £x goes out of their account unless they remember to change it, bank transfers can be done when the money is there and there are a lot of reasons (all out of the umbrellas control) as to why the money may not be there
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Tell them you want to pay one-off variable payments into the pension by bank transfer.

JSA paid by bank transfer to Aegon. Now I have switched providers and they pay by bank transfer to Fidelity (SIPP). Pension companies seem to only allow fixed amounts by direct debit for a monthly scheme, however, they accept bank transfer for one-off and variable payments, which can be made at any time, such as once a month. You will need to fill in the pension company's one-off payment paperwork every month for the amount transferred. I have the dates on the paperwork in pencil and just change, scan, and upload each month as soon a JSA tell me the amount.

However, with Aegon, JSA are not meeting the pension anti-money laundering requirements and therefore payments are in a holding account. I am trying to resolve this but neither JSA nor Aegon are willing to compromise.

Comment

For the contract work prior to switching to the umbrella (as although measterbrook can claim that the contract is outside the actions of his client show that the client felt it was an inside IR35 contract).
                  The client decided that the new rules were a risk so just blanket banned LtdCo contractors. Some contractors requested IR35 determination and were outside, which meant they might be able to claim expenses through an umbrella company, but the blanket ban was an operating business decision and therefore remained for all regardless of individual determinations. For the client it is now simple - all contractors are on the same basis and it does not have to deal with 2 or more types of contracts, nor does it have to worry about ever changing IR35 rules and guidelines from HMG/HMRC. It seems that the client wins, and the contractors lose - except the client loses some of the best contractors, who move to more accommodating clients with better working relationship.

Comment

Working...
                  X