• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella company weekly vs monthly margins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella company weekly vs monthly margins

According to my recruitment agency, I need to join one of the Umbrellas on their list. I am trying to compare them... checking if they are FCSA members... reading reviews (though I am not sure what to believe)..

Since I have no way of really knowing what the service will be like until I actually join, I started to focus on comparing their margins/fees. These range from £18 to £25 if you wish to be paid weekly (with some charging an additional fee to handle your salary sacrifice), but the margins vary from £60 to £125 (per month) if you wish to be paid monthly. It's impossible to know what £125 per month buys that £60 doesn't. Anyone else getting paid monthly and have any tips on this route?

I was wondering if anyone is willing to recommend (or share their experience of) any of my shortlisted companies:

Exact Payroll
    Paystream
    Danbro
    Brookson One

Also, am I correct in assuming their is no point in keeping my Limited Company going, now that I have to join an Umbrella?

Use the Google search method. This exact question and list comes up weekly.

Type in (keyword) site:contractoruk.com/forums.

Type each of the names in and read what was said from other posts.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pixi View Post
      According to my recruitment agency, I need to join one of the Umbrellas on their list. I am trying to compare them... checking if they are FCSA members... reading reviews (though I am not sure what to believe)..

Since I have no way of really knowing what the service will be like until I actually join, I started to focus on comparing their margins/fees. These range from £18 to £25 if you wish to be paid weekly (with some charging an additional fee to handle your salary sacrifice), but the margins vary from £60 to £125 (per month) if you wish to be paid monthly. It's impossible to know what £125 per month buys that £60 doesn't. Anyone else getting paid monthly and have any tips on this route?
      Probably very little but once you've drawn up your short list, ask them.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

£10 a week seemed to be the going rate ( inc salary sacrifice ) when I started with an umbrella 6 months back. So I'd get haggling. I didn't speak to any on that list though. The end product should be exactly the same with all of them. I suppose some could offer longer payment terms but they should pay you on the next payment run after they receive the money.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          £10 a week seemed to be the going rate ( inc salary sacrifice ) when I started with an umbrella 6 months back. So I'd get haggling. I didn't speak to any on that list though. The end product should be exactly the same with all of them. I suppose some could offer longer payment terms but they should pay you on the next payment run after they receive the money.
          Don't take this the wrong way but I really don't see how £10 a week actually works from the umbrella side of things - I can see the figures working at £18 a week / £60 a month but much below that seems very tight.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Don't take this the wrong way but I really don't see how £10 a week actually works from the umbrella side of things - I can see the figures working at £18 a week / £60 a month but much below that seems very tight.
            That is what I'm getting charged . I rang a few on the preferred supplier list and I think two of them were a tenner. I've been transferred over to JSA and I'm expecting an increase at some stage and I'll probably be lazy and accept it.

£18 a week is costing as much as a full accountancy package of which payroll is only part of, so seems a bit steep to me but....
            Last edited by rootsnall; 11 December 2020, 10:01.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              That is what I'm getting charged . I rang a few on the preferred supplier list and I think two of them were a tenner. I've been transferred over to JSA and I'm expecting an increase at some stage and I'll probably be lazy and accept it.

£18 a week is costing as much as a full accountancy package of which payroll is only part of, so seems a bit steep to me but....
              But equally an umbrella has a pile of costs beyond payroll - insurance being one, employment law and rights another...

You can't compare accountancy fees with umbrella fees the things being provided are very different.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                But equally an umbrella has a pile of costs beyond payroll - insurance being one, employment law and rights another...

You can't compare accountancy fees with umbrella fees the things being provided are very different.
                I suspect for an outfit like JSA they are trying to sell on other 'services' on top of the £10 a week so aren't strictly dependent on collecting a lot of tenners. It's also pretty much all automated once you are up and running. At scale I'm sure they are making decent money.

Comment

Working...
                X