• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella offering expenses?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I don't get - and am probably being thick here - is how an employee can claim tax relief on a personal purchase...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post

Well, I spoke to Parasol today. And raised the expenses point. They said they are audited by HMRC each year and their practices are completely legal.

Also spoke to Paystream who also said I can claim expenses.
      Have you joined them yet - see my point above about sales pitches not neccesarily matching reality.

Also you have the fun of SDC when the contract has been deemed inside by the end client which is a very different proposition from you treating it as inside.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        What I don't get - and am probably being thick here - is how an employee can claim tax relief on a personal purchase...
        For the hardware I can see how they do it but it's dubious were HMRC to match figures closely.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Also you have the fun of SDC when the contract has been deemed inside by the end client which is a very different proposition from you treating it as inside.
          According to the link I posted earlier - Parasol reimburse Business costs (ie hardware etc) free of tax and NIC whether SDC applies or not.

https://www.parasolgroup.co.uk/wp-co...038.1602687741

Comment

Originally posted by gizzmo View Post

According to the link I posted earlier - Parasol reimburse Business costs (ie hardware etc) free of tax and NIC whether SDC applies or not.

https://www.parasolgroup.co.uk/wp-co...038.1602687741
            But as I pointed out before hardware is not expenses.

Hardware purchases are a different issue which to be blunt I'm looking forward to finding out HMRCs opinion on now I know how Parasol do it.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Have you joined them yet - see my point above about sales pitches not necessarily matching reality.

I opted for Paystream. They were more friendly, produced an instant illustration, no heavy sales pitch and a very simple 5 minute sign up process. I dont intend on claiming any expenses personally. I'm aware i'll be under SDC most likely.

Parasol were pretty useless. Heavy sales pitch, I asked for an illustration via email and they just emailed me bullet points of why they're amazing and tried to sell me platinium. Didn't provide any illustrations, as promised. I wish I could share their email with you guys - it's actually diabolical.

Comment

I opted for Paystream. They were more friendly, produced an instant illustration, no heavy sales pitch and a very simple 5 minute sign up process. I dont intend on claiming any expenses personally. I'm aware i'll be under SDC most likely.

Parasol were pretty useless. Heavy sales pitch, I asked for an illustration via email and they just emailed me bullet points of why they're amazing and tried to sell me platinium. Didn't provide any illustrations, as promised. I wish I could share their email with you guys - it's actually diabolical.
                CTRL+C, CTRL+V and remove personally identifying information

Comment

Well, I spoke to Parasol today. And raised the expenses point. They said they are audited by HMRC each year and their practices are completely legal.

Also spoke to Paystream who also said I can claim expenses.
                  I'm with Paystream and these are the questions they asked me, so they could check if the expenses were allowable

- Can you outline the nature of your usual role in more detail?
                  - What is the nature of your day to day travel/month to month?
                  - Have you worked at the site(s) you are claiming for previously?
                  - Will you be returning to this site(s)?
                  - How long will you be stationed at this site/these sites?
                  - Are you stationed at this site/these sites exclusively during this assignment?
                  - What expenses would you be claiming?
                  - Will the client/agency be reimbursing these expenses?

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post

I'm with Paystream and these are the questions they asked me, so they could check if the expenses were allowable

- Can you outline the nature of your usual role in more detail?
                    - What is the nature of your day to day travel/month to month?
                    - Have you worked at the site(s) you are claiming for previously?
                    - Will you be returning to this site(s)?
                    - How long will you be stationed at this site/these sites?
                    - Are you stationed at this site/these sites exclusively during this assignment?
                    - What expenses would you be claiming?
                    - Will the client/agency be reimbursing these expenses?

None of those questions have anything to do with SDC and the last one is completely irrelevant as client paid expenses are usually reimbursable.

*I say usually as there have been some (strange) exceptions here.

Comment

Following on from the workshop I attended on Friday - I actually think Parasol are right and can allow hardware purchases for the purposes of the project.

The devil is in the detail but it is clear that materials used for the project can be deducted before deemed payments are made and that must equally apply to umbrella firms.

Now it wouldn't surprise me if HMRC tried to reject the claim and took it to court and it may seem completely strange it also makes sense given the actual rules and making the assumption that

1) the hardware is for that project (so computer, phone, iPad fine - washing machine probably not).
                      2) the hardware is disposed of (via reselling) at the end of the project.

The fact the hardware ends up in the workers hands at a lower price doesn't seem to have occurred to HMRC...

I'm not sure that a 3 month old iphone is worth just 15% of the original purchase price though - and VAT handling would be a very interesting thing to investigate.

Comment

Working...
                      X