• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote Working - European Umbrella Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Working - European Umbrella Companies

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an umbrella company that operates in UK and Spain?

I'm going to be working remotely from Spain for a UK company (paid in pounds). As I understand it, I can't use my own UK Ltd as after 6 months in Spain it gets classed as a 'permanent establishment' - hence I was thinking of using an umbrella instead.

I've spent a lot of time trying to find companies that could help, but not had much luck. Googling names mentioned on these forums haven't turned up much.

So far, I've found :
    1. Capital Consulting
    2. Pearl Systems (though their website only haas contact address - no information)

Could anyone recommend either of the two companies above? Any other good ones that I could add to the list?

If anyone else has worked remotley, I'd really appreciate any info on how they set themselves up to make both UK / Spanish taxmen happy.

Really stuck at the moment so any ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Iain.

If you are planning on staying there for any length of time then I would set myself up as Spanish automo when you arrive and open a Spanish bank account and have all income paid there. You can then pay tax and social security there and need never have to deal with the hmrc. Why bother to deal with both when one will suffice and taxes in Spain are not that bad either. A Spanish accountant will cost about 60-80 euros\month and they will take care of all your paperwork which is really not that much.

You could use your uk ltd for the first 6 months but if you are going to be there for longer then you are going to have to set yourself up in Spain eventually. You could keep on using your uk ltd and most likely never be found out by the Spanish auhorities, I knew a contractor who did just that for 3 years then went back to the UK, so the UK got tax for nowt.

Where you planning on living in Spain?

Comment

Hi TiroFijo,

Thanks or the reply, lots of useful info there.

I'm not sure if theUK company will accept billing from an individual (autonimo), I'm sure I read that companies prefer to deal with Ltds - I've just asked them to find out. Seems the easiest option though.

My contract is for an initial 3 months, to see how the remote working goes. Thinking about using my own company/umbrella initially - then setting up over here once it (hopefully) gets extended.

I'm currently in Marbella, heading home for summer then back out to a random location in Analucia (my girlfriend is a teacher here, they don't get much say in where they work).

I assume you're working over here too? Had to get my girlfriend to translate your name for me

Thanks again for the advice, really appreciated.

Iain.

Comment

Hi. I have "almost" the exact same question. I am not actually tax resident anywhere at the moment (I am British by birth) and will be working in Spain. I have a contract with a US company and can get paid from the US office (in Dollars) or the Spain office (in Euros). I was also wondering whether there are umbrella (like) companies in Spain that I could use. At the moment I have found a UK organization that can do all my invoicing etc and pay be gross (after a processing fee is deducted). They say that I will still need to sort out my tax in spain myself. So in other words I will need to have a local tax accountant in spain.

So if you find a suitable spanish umbrella company do let me know..

David

Comment

Hi David,

Good to hear I'm not the only one!

Not sure about the site's policy to linking to other sites. You may want to try "caital tax consulting" ond "International Tax Solutions".

Can I ask what UK company you're going to use?

Can't recommend a Spanish Acountant yet, but google does throw up several english speaking ones so shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,
          Iain

Comment

I am actually working for a multinational. Now it seems I will be paid out of the Spanish entity. I was going down the path of Autonomo but now I am not sure. The last conversation I had with an accountant got me more confused! He now thinks thats not the way to go. Because of the amount of money I am going to earn he says its a much better bet to set up a company.

David

Comment

Would any of you guys care to feed back to this thread?

It's seems, unlike UK LTD, Espanol autonomo cannot claim a whole lot of things, so it's better off stick to your UK co as long as you can, I think?

Comment

Originally posted by deeteeakl View Post
                I am actually working for a multinational. Now it seems I will be paid out of the Spanish entity. I was going down the path of Autonomo but now I am not sure. The last conversation I had with an accountant got me more confused! He now thinks thats not the way to go. Because of the amount of money I am going to earn he says its a much better bet to set up a company.

David
                Hi David,

It's been a while since you posted in this thread. I'm wondering how everything worked out?

Comment

Working...
                X