• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New umbrella company required!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all...

I have just left Parasol due to this also... I am wondering my best steps for getting these "employment Costs" back as I have had no time off sick, no holidays, and cannot get preganant as I'm a man... therefore I see this as them holding money of mine that is unused... am I correct?

What is my best step next to try and reclaim this, anyone know a good legal person to chat to and see my position... I am up for the fight <mod snip - let's keep it civil please>

Cheers - Spog

Comment

It's nice to see that the word is spreading
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

If you ask me, Parasol have breached the terms of the umbrella supplier/client relationship I have with them.

Below is a link to a copy of the fees page from their welcome pack which they sent me when I rejoined them in 2009 after a couple of months break. Clearly they state "no hidden fees" which they helpfully highlighted in bold. These are the terms and costs I signed-up when I joined them. I have not consented to any other increases, however they choose to masquerade it.

Imagebin - http://imagebin.org/195543

Comment

Originally posted by Spog09 View Post
          Hi all...

I have just left Parasol due to this also... I am wondering my best steps for getting these "employment Costs" back as I have had no time off sick, no holidays, and cannot get preganant as I'm a man... therefore I see this as them holding money of mine that is unused... am I correct?

What is my best step next to try and reclaim this, anyone know a good legal person to chat to and see my position... I am up for the fight <mod snip - let's keep it civil please>

Cheers - Spog
          That's the spirit!

Maybe an employment tribunal - see:
          Employment Tribunals: an introduction : Directgov - Employment

It costs nothing and you can claim on the grounds of 'unlawful deductions from wages'. If they're levying these additional charges due to increased overheads of the new employment laws, that's potentially unlawful as they shouldn't be passing these costs to their employees. Then there's the fairness of the way they passing it on - i.e. an arbitrary 13.8% of your expenses ... not to mention the lack of transparency as they've haven't exactly gone out of their way to make their employees aware of the fact that extra money is being deducted.

Note that you must make an application within three months of the date that "the matter you are complaining about happened".

It costs nothing to file a claim and you may find that Parasol are all-too-willing to settle at that point.

Comment

Well I'm due my P45 from them next week so we'll see if they refund what extra they've taken, if not I think I might try that route.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
              Well I'm due my P45 from them next week so we'll see if they refund what extra they've taken, if not I think I might try that route.
              I am waiting for mine too, I think I will start with an email to the head of ES stating my intentiions if they dont refund it and see from there.... however as yet they still havent replied to my emails asking for his details !!!

Comment

I submitted my resignation in the early part of this month so why it is taking so long to send out my P45 I'll never know. So I emailed them and they said it will be generated on the 30th does it really take that long
                Last edited by The Spartan; 26 January 2012, 11:57. Reason: spelling
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Parasol

Originally posted by Spog09 View Post
                  Hi all...

Cheers - Spog
                  How did you get on Spog? I'm in the same boat.

Comment

Rolled Up Holiday Pay

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    We deduct and pay back as rolled up holiday pay is not allowed Taking your holiday : Directgov - Employment.
                    It is illegal from a European perspective to roll up holiday pay but so far as I am aware no legislation in the UK which outlaws the practice. This is why several umbrella providers still use the method.

Comment

Originally posted by bass1999 View Post
                      It is illegal from a European perspective to roll up holiday pay but so far as I am aware no legislation in the UK which outlaws the practice. This is why several umbrella providers still use the method.
                      It is contained within the EC Working Time Directives which apply to UK employers
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X