• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor pays employers N.I.C

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor pays employers N.I.C

Thinking of becoming a contractor, is it true that a contractor working for a umbrella company has to pay employers N.I from their own pay.
    In this case is it that as a contractor whose 24 month period has exceeded and is termed as a permanent employee takes home less net pay then a normal permanent member of staff if the rate of pay is the same.

Thank you

Originally posted by srk View Post
    Thinking of becoming a contractor, is it true that a contractor working for a umbrella company has to pay employers N.I from their own pay.
    In this case is it that as a contractor whose 24 month period has exceeded and is termed as a permanent employee takes home less net pay then a normal permanent member of staff if the rate of pay is the same.

Thank you
    There is so much wrong with that question, I don't know where to start.

Read the guides we keep telling people to read and try again.

But briefly, "Yes" and "Don't be silly".
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Any links to the guides would be appreciated.

Comment

These may be a place to start?

Nixon Williams - Brochures & Guides

Nixon Williams - Take Home Pay Calculator
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by srk View Post
          Any links to the guides would be appreciated.
          Go to www.pcg.org.uk and download the Guide to Freelancing. But there's one on the links on this page if you look really hard.

Rule 1 of contracting - think for yourself, don't rely on others to do it for you.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanx Waldorf and malvoli

Comment

[QUOTE=srk;1386999]Thinking of becoming a contractor, is it true that a contractor working for a umbrella company has to pay employers N.I from their own pay.

An umbrella company has a business to business contract with the recruitment agency and, in that contract, a rate will be given. The umbrella company invoices for that rate and then receives payment for that invoice; from the money that they receive they must pay you, HMR&C (income tax, employee's NI and employer's NI) and retain an amount for themselves.

When a contract exceeds 24 months or from the point that you know a contract will exceed 24 months you will no longer be able to claim travel or accommodation expenses.
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Thank you Lisa

Comment

Working...
                X