• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EMI Share Allocation Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMI Share Allocation Umbrella

I have a friend who is inside IR35 and therefore cannot go the Ltd Company route... his new contract starts on Monday. I thought his only option would be to go to an umbrella company. But he has had a quote from someone offering an EMI Share Options umbrella solution...

HMRC has this to say:
    HM Revenue & Customs: Enterprise Management Incentives

"The options must be granted for commercial reasons to recruit or retain employees in a company, and not as part of an arrangement, one of the main purposes of which is to avoid tax. (Para 4 Sch 5)."

... I am worried he is taking a risk but he is very tempted as the difference in take-home pay is a few hundred quid a month! Does anybody have experience of these loan/share schemes? It seems to be well shonky...

Thanks, J

Working...
X