• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

am i employed or self employed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

am i employed or self employed

at the moment i work for a company as an employee . i have been asked to work under an umbrella company for the same employer. the umbrella company has told me i will be working outside ir35 on a self employed basis. all equipment and uniform i need to do my job will be provided for me by the client. i will be paid on a weekly basis through the umbrella company . i am not sure wether i will be employed or self employed , can anyone clarify please

i would just like to add the umbrella company ant me to sign a self employed contract
    Last edited by steve2776; 29 June 2012, 16:18. Reason: more info

1st answer - when you work for an umbrella you are inside IR35.

Do you know what IR35 is? Search on this board to find out - google 'IR35 site:forums.contractoruk.com'

For a simple working arrangement you should be employed by the umbrella.

You CAN be self-employed with an Umbrella, but that is for tax avoidance purposes and can be very risky, you could lose money AND be chased to back-taxes by HMRC if the Umbrella is not very good (and many in this SE-Umbrella market aren't). You have to know what you are doing and what the risks are before doing this.

If you are not sure I would go to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau WITH your contract and ask them for help and advice. There are many things going on here between your current employer and the Umbrella that sound very suspicious. If you are in a union (but I don't think you are) see them as well.

I am not an accountant but I would get advice from someone who can see your new contracts and explain things to you.

Good luck.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by steve2776 View Post
      at the moment i work for a company as an employee . i have been asked to work under an umbrella company for the same employer. the umbrella company has told me i will be working outside ir35 on a self employed basis. all equipment and uniform i need to do my job will be provided for me by the client. i will be paid on a weekly basis through the umbrella company . i am not sure wether i will be employed or self employed , can anyone clarify please
      You cannot work outside IR35 through a third party - this process was outlawed with a piece of legislation called the Managed Service Company Legislation several years ago. If you work through an umbrella company you will be employed by them under an over-arching Contract of Employment and will receive payment through PAYE (Pay As You Earn) which means that you will pay income tax and national insurance contributions in the same way as any other employee. Your salary with the umbrella company will be based on the assignment rate less an amount which the umbrella company is obliged to pay HMR&C for Employer's National Insurance contributions and an amount which the umbrella company retains as their margin. If you have no other income or tax liabilities it should not be necessary for self-assessment forms to be completed.

HTH
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Also I would ask you employer what is wrong with employing you directly - it seems very strange for a company to do this without having a motive which is potentially not in your best interests.

Comment

going straight back to the same employer for your first contract is a high risk of being inside ir35 what ever way you work. sounds like your "employer" has no idea what ir35 is.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Also I would ask you employer what is wrong with employing you directly - it seems very strange for a company to do this without having a motive which is potentially not in your best interests.
            Without wishing to be cynical, I would suggest that the employer wants to try and unload their employer responsibilities

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              Without wishing to be cynical, I would suggest that the employer wants to try and unload their employer responsibilities
              Exactly - go the your CAB asap.

I could imagine something horrible here, like the umbrella using this 'self employed' comment to evade their responsibility to pay your NI and PAYE.

But of course, it may not be that bad, but you do need someone to look at this for you.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Exactly - go the your CAB asap.

I could imagine something horrible here, like the umbrella using this 'self employed' comment to evade their responsibility to pay your NI and PAYE.

But of course, it may not be that bad, but you do need someone to look at this for you.
                Just went on that other thread by mistake - thought we had an echo here for a minute

Cojak, your horrible imaginings are probably not far from the truth - there are quite a few dodgy sort of schemes out there that require the individual to be self-employed and they usually promise 85%+ take home. The umbrella company's responsibility is the income tax on min wage (with class 2 nat ins contributions) - unfortunately the balance of earnings is usually in some form of loan which as we all now know is likely to pose problems for the individual following a visit from HMR&C's inspectors.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

thank you

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  Just went on that other thread by mistake - thought we had an echo here for a minute

Cojak, your horrible imaginings are probably not far from the truth - there are quite a few dodgy sort of schemes out there that require the individual to be self-employed and they usually promise 85%+ take home. The umbrella company's responsibility is the income tax on min wage (with class 2 nat ins contributions) - unfortunately the balance of earnings is usually in some form of loan which as we all now know is likely to pose problems for the individual following a visit from HMR&C's inspectors.
                  i would just like to add that the umbrella company are asking me to sign a self employed contract
                  thank you very much .

Comment

Originally posted by steve2776 View Post
                    i would just like to add that the umbrella company are asking me to sign a self employed contract
                    thank you very much .
                    Then you will be responsible for your own tax and NI in which case I would be asking the question - exactly what are the umbrella company going to do for their fee (which, if I know these schemes is about 5% of your income)?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                    X