• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella company forgot last month's pension contributions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella company forgot last month's pension contributions

Hi all,

I've been using pension contributions via my current umbrella company's scheme to lower my tax, as well as for to contribute to a pension plan.

Last month's money was paid to me, and it seemed rather low - HMRC had taken quite a chunk out. Looking over the slip I couldn't see any pension contributions.

A day or two after I contacted the umbrella company and asked them to look into the matter, I received an email (sadly they addressed me by the wrong name) stating that due to their error the contributions weren't deducted, tough luck re. the tax and that they'll take out a double contribution next month.

Has anyone ever had this happen? I have to admit that I'm more than annoyed, they recognise that due to their screw up I have lost income, but basically their attitude is too bad, tough luck.

Originally posted by matei View Post
    Has anyone ever had this happen? I have to admit that I'm more than annoyed, they recognise that due to their screw up I have lost income, but basically their attitude is too bad, tough luck.
    As someone who recently used an umbrella and sizeable pension contributions to significantly reduce my tax liability, I understand your annoyance, which may be partly aimed at their apparent attitude. However, can I ask what exactly you expect the umbrella to do about it?

They've said that they'll take a double contribution next month. Have you worked out whether overall this will leave you any worse off tax/NI-wise, and exactly by how much?

If you'd be no worse off then it doesn't really matter. If you would be worse off and you feel that you should be entitled to financial compensation, you could give it a go although I think you'd struggle to get anything from them.

Maybe it's time to vote with your feet & switch to another umbrella. Which company are you with?

Comment

Working...
    X