• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hardware expenses - qualifying period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware expenses - qualifying period

I recently purchased some hardware for my role as a System Engineer: nothing massive but close to a grand. I wasn't particularly careful with the overall cost (i.e. bought quality rather than value-for-money) as was looking to take advantage of the tax benefits of claiming the expenses through the umbrella company.

I've read several sites with mentions of the "10-month" qualifying period, although none of these seem like definite sources.

I am likely to have to resign from the umbrella company shortly and am concerned what will happen with the tax. As the hardware is legally the property of the umbrella company, if they claim that I need to pay the tax after resigning, can I simply return the hardware to them and get a refund?

Originally posted by sammywammy View Post
    I recently purchased some hardware for my role as a System Engineer: nothing massive but close to a grand. I wasn't particularly careful with the overall cost (i.e. bought quality rather than value-for-money) as was looking to take advantage of the tax benefits of claiming the expenses through the umbrella company.

I've read several sites with mentions of the "10-month" qualifying period, although none of these seem like definite sources.

I am likely to have to resign from the umbrella company shortly and am concerned what will happen with the tax. As the hardware is legally the property of the umbrella company, if they claim that I need to pay the tax after resigning, can I simply return the hardware to them and get a refund?
    Have you asked them?
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Have you asked them?
      No, that's why I'm asking here and if I had wanted to ask them, I would have done so. There are several threads about the qualifying period but no mention of how long before the end of the assignment/resignation hardware expenses would need to be claimed.

Comment

Originally posted by sammywammy View Post
        No, that's why I'm asking here and if I had wanted to ask them, I would have done so. There are several threads about the qualifying period but no mention of how long before the end of the assignment/resignation hardware expenses would need to be claimed.
        So basically you are asking a random bunch of strangers to explain a specific piece of a company's internal accounting rules.

OK... I just happen to know it's 134.6 hours before your date of resignation.

HTH

Seriously, it's personal taxation, so aligned to the tax year. You need to ask the umbrella how they intend handling it, since they are the only ones who know their rules and your circumstances. But if the kit hasn't depreciated out (which I somehow doubt) you're going to have to pay something for it.

Next time, perhaps find out the rules before spending other people's money .
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
        X