• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming accomodation if office is closed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming accomodation if office is closed

Hi,
    I'm currently in a contract in the EU. In the past month there have been a few random days when the office i'm based at is closed so i'm unable to come to work. However, as its generally a wednesday i still have to pay for a hotel and just hang around for the day rather than flying home, so i'm still incurring the expense of accomodation. Would i be within my rights to claim for this, e.g only work for 4 days but claim accomodation/subsisdence for 5?

Thanks

are you at that accommodation solely and exclusively for business reasons? i.e if you were not working would you be staying at that hotel? In my opinion it is your co.'s decision that is financially beneficial for you to stay at client site hotel for the off day rather than foot the cost of return flights and you would not be in that hotel in the first place unless you are working for the client i.e it's not a holiday. Therefore it is a valid business expense in my opinion, however, if client co insist it is not then point out that the cost of return flights would be far higher and in future this is what you will claim instead of course travelling during work time for which you are being paid and they will lose out on at least half a days work while you travel.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

another alternative is to not only claim for the hotel but also bill an extra day and explain you worked at the hotel because the client site was not open.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Agree with Chef - I can't see any reason why this wouldn't be classed as a legitimate expense
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
        X