• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC homing in on Umbrella expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC homing in on Umbrella expenses

This got missed in October but now that I've found it I thought it best to post it here.

'Abusive tax avoidance' affects temporary workers

This is probably why Umbrella have changed their expenses policies as Lisa mentioned in the sticky above.

I expect to be KUATB'ed
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Don't think I can KUATB you actually Cojak - The article is talking about salary sacrifice arrangements which no reputable umbrella company should ever have been involved in. Basically the employee 'sacrifices' or, more accurately has 'sacrificed' on their behalf a proportion of the earnings which is then processed as 'expenses' regardless of whether or not any cost has been incurred and without knowing whether it met the wholly and exclusively rule. Unfortunately this sort of scheme was very popular because it was targeted at very low paid workers who ended up paying virtually no tax or even no tax at all - obviously all then went a bit pear shaped for them when it came to the attention of Hector.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
    X