Agency wants me to switch umbrella Co. Agency wants me to switch umbrella Co.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default Agency wants me to switch umbrella Co.

    Hello,

    I've been doing a short term, part time contract for the last couple of months, using NASA as my umbrella company.

    I've just been contacted by my agency saying that even though the contract is due to expire within the next few weeks they want me to leave NASA and sign up with one of the three on their preferred supplier list (Brookson, Giant or Parasol).

    Is this a reasonable request? The agency went out of their way when I first started the contract to NOT give me any advice about Umbrellas, insisting I did all my own research (I've always been PAYE previously) and that they were not allowed to influence my choice, so it seems a bit of an about face.

    Thanks,

    Piers.

  2. #2

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    Hello,

    I've been doing a short term, part time contract for the last couple of months, using NASA as my umbrella company.

    I've just been contacted by my agency saying that even though the contract is due to expire within the next few weeks they want me to leave NASA and sign up with one of the three on their preferred supplier list (Brookson, Giant or Parasol).

    Is this a reasonable request? The agency went out of their way when I first started the contract to NOT give me any advice about Umbrellas, insisting I did all my own research (I've always been PAYE previously) and that they were not allowed to influence my choice, so it seems a bit of an about face.

    Thanks,

    Piers.
    Have you asked them why they want you to change mid-way through a contract Piers? That's quite unusual
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,300

    Default

    More importantly ask them what Contractor Umbrella isn't on the PSL! No point having the 'also rans' as the only choices when the cream of the crop isn't on it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #4

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    More importantly ask them what Contractor Umbrella isn't on the PSL! No point having the 'also rans' as the only choices when the cream of the crop isn't on it.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to northernladuk again.

    Have one of these instead
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  5. #5

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    More importantly ask them what Contractor Umbrella isn't on the PSL! No point having the 'also rans' as the only choices when the cream of the crop isn't on it.
    creep
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    creep
    Got me about the 20th 'Must spread rep' paste in a row from her but am sure it will happen one day

    ... but I got a LisaHug out of it so am a happy man... for about 15 mins and then back to being a miserable old git and normal service is resumed.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #7

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Got me about the 20th 'Must spread rep' paste in a row from her but am sure it will happen one day

    ... but I got a LisaHug out of it so am a happy man... for about 15 mins and then back to being a miserable old git and normal service is resumed.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to northernladuk again.

    Dammit How do I rid myself of this terrible curse?
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  8. #8

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to northernladuk again.

    Dammit How do I rid myself of this terrible curse?
    Stop trying. I did, and since then, I've not seen the message. There are other, worthier rep recipients out there
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  9. #9

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Stop trying. I did, and since then, I've not seen the message. There are other, worthier rep recipients out there
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheFaQQer again.

    Never mind, you can have one of these too
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Have you asked them why they want you to change mid-way through a contract Piers? That's quite unusual
    Hello,

    I've spoken to them today, after phoning up the three approved umbrellas for illustrations.

    Apparently they had auditors in, who highlighted that by dealing with dozens of different companies they were taking too much risk. They examined a few companies in detail, and those three were the ones they decided were robust enough for them. They plan on adding more to the list in future, but for now it's just those.

    So, given that I don't seem to have much choice in the matter, any recommendations? Apart from weekly fee is there anything to choose between them?

    Piers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •