• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Advice needed please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    You can claim for food only if you are working long days (i.e. > 12 hours) or having unfeasibly early starts or staying away during the week. Otherwise the working assumption is you'd have to eat anyway, so how can it be a business expense?
    Because the HMRC guidelines say so. If it's associated with valid business travel and it costs you more to eat than it would normally then you may claim the full price of the meal (or the agreed rate as in this case if there is dispensation from HMRC).

We've had this discussion before (several times I think) so I don't understand why you keep saying that. Maybe repeating it enough will make it true? Next up will be that it only saves 20% so why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
      Because the HMRC guidelines say so. If it's associated with valid business travel and it costs you more to eat than it would normally then you may claim the full price of the meal (or the agreed rate as in this case if there is dispensation from HMRC).

We've had this discussion before (several times I think) so I don't understand why you keep saying that. Maybe repeating it enough will make it true? Next up will be that it only saves 20% so why bother.
      "Valid business travel" agreed. I'm getting confused between lunch allowance and standard subsistence again.

However, 20% of £6 a day for a three month contract comes out to £78 max. It would cost me more than that to do the paperwork. There comes a point where scratching around for every last penny you can drag out of the tax system against what is already a very healthy income gets to be simply too much effort. YMMV
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        If it is your intention (this is HMRC guidance on the matter) to work on more than one assignment whilst in the employment of the umbrella company then, by virtue of the over-arching contract that you will be working under, your workplaces will be viewed as temporary and therefore you will have the entitlement to travel expenses.
        Thanks Lisa,

What if I have the intention but then i get offered a permanent job and decide to leave the umbrella?

Comment

Originally posted by Vipz View Post
          Thanks Lisa,

What if I have the intention but then i get offered a permanent job and decide to leave the umbrella?
          Then at that point you would notify the umbrella and they should stop allowing the expenses
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
          X