• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting/locum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting/locum

Hi folks

I was wondering if I may get a general overview of contracting, as I am seriously considering it. What are the pro's and con's etc. how do I get paid and which agencies are best?

I am a newly qualified doctor, and I have been given advise, however I would like some alternative advise please.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome!

You'll find a lot of answers to your questions within the CUK website.

On the right you'll find CUK Navigation. >>>>>>>>>

Look down and you'll come to the First Timers section. Have a read through there.

Basic expenses questions answered here: Contractor Expenses - How to claim Travel and other expenses via Limited Company or Umbrella

Then pay particular attention to IR35.

And here are the rules when using company credit cards: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/exb/a-z/c/cards.htm

If you go into the Accounting/Legal forum you'll discover the thread Basic advice when running your own contractor business.

Guide to Contracts also has some good articles.

And finally - accountant recommendations - Ta-da!

Happy reading!

I must warn you that there aren't many doctors on the forum and we don't allow advertising, so 1st time posters promoting locum services will be banned.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Newcontractor2015 View Post
      Hi folks

I was wondering if I may get a general overview of contracting, as I am seriously considering it. What are the pro's and con's etc. how do I get paid and which agencies are best?

I am a newly qualified doctor, and I have been given advise, however I would like some alternative advise please.

Thank you in advance.
      This is an IT contractors' forum, so you're probably not going to get much joy here. We do have plenty of ailments though if you want to hang around! Is there a known cure for suityitis?

(Oh, and it's advice )

Comment

Another recommended option is to go to www.ipse.co.uk and download their Guide to Freelancing. If it's not in there, you probably don't want to know.

And personally I don't think you need worry overmuch about IR35; it will be difficult to demonstrate that you are working under the direction and control of the local Trust...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
        X