Realistic take home income and IR35 Realistic take home income and IR35
Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Nervous Newbie

rolandd has no reputation

Lightbulb Realistic take home income and IR35

Hey,

I'm a Software Developer and I plan to move to London (from Sunderland) at the end of this year and work on a £400-£500 / day rate as a contractor.

I read a lot about the IR35 and at some point I felt exactly like this title : IR35: the end of a dream - A contractor's view .Even if I read a lot, I find the IR35 rules very ambiguous.
    The description of all contract jobs seems exactly as a permie one : work on a client schedule (9-5:30 -- M-F), at the client Office, following their rules. So from my point of view all the contracts are inside IR35. Or it depends more of what is written in the contract than what will you do ?

Another thing is what % should I expect to take home from £500/day rate ?
    Using Umbrella Company inside IR35 - take home : ~55%
    Using Umbrella Company outside IR35 - take home : ~65%
    On other calculators, even on this site, outside of IR35, it says that you can take home 80% ++

TykeLike

SimonMac is always on top

A lot of the calculations were/are made on the premise that expenses can be used to reduce the tax liability and therefore "bump up" the take home pay percentage, as of April these will no longer be valid so take home pay will be lower
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Nice But Dim

DaveB is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by rolandd View Post
    Hey,

I'm a Software Developer and I plan to move to London (from Sunderland) at the end of this year and work on a £400-£500 / day rate as a contractor.

I read a lot about the IR35 and at some point I felt exactly like this title : IR35: the end of a dream - A contractor's view .Even if I read a lot, I find the IR35 rules very ambiguous.
    The description of all contract jobs seems exactly as a permie one : work on a client schedule (9-5:30 -- M-F), at the client Office, following their rules. So from my point of view all the contracts are inside IR35. Or it depends more of what is written in the contract than what will you do ?

Another thing is what % should I expect to take home from £500/day rate ?
    Using Umbrella Company inside IR35 - take home : ~55%
    Using Umbrella Company outside IR35 - take home : ~65%
    On other calculators, even on this site, outside of IR35, it says that you can take home 80% ++
    Outside IR35 using your own Ltd Co. you can reasonably get somewhere between 65% and 75% depending on your circumstances. Anything over that and its going to start getting dodgy or be very specific to you, such as putting all your company earnings into a pension scheme etc.

Office hours are't automatically an indication of status, you need to be there when the permies are in order to get work done. You can always negotiate some flexibility. Get your contracts professionally reviewed for IR35 status and look at your working arrangements as well. It is a grey area and there is lots of room for interpretation.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Umbrella Queen

LisaContractorUmbrella 's job has never been outsourced

You can't work outside IR35 through an umbrella company as you become an employee of the umbrella company are are paid through PAYE; if you are outside IR35 and work through your own Ltd Co you will have the entitlement to draw dividends from that company.

Sites that are promising 80%+ take home on £500 per day are likely to be purveyors of tax avoidance schemes and will probably have been mentioned here: HMRC Scheme Enquiries
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk has reached the peak. Play again?

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!