• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newby Q _ overseas work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newby Q _ overseas work

Hi, Newby with a quick question.
    I've been working on my current gig for a year on day rates. They've now asked me to go to the USA for fourteen days, expenses paid of course.
    I'm really not keen on going, and certainly don't fancy being away from my young family for this amount of time. Realistically I have to go, but what should I be charging? The current day rate based on 7.5 hours seems wholly inadequate but my contract has no provision for charging more.
    Should I agree to go based on, for example, double time including that spent travelling? They won't like this one bit.

Thank you,

HW

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    I've been working on my current gig for a year on day rates. They've now asked me to go to the USA for fourteen days, expenses paid of course.
    I'm really not keen on going, and certainly don't fancy being away from my young family for this amount of time. Realistically I have to go, but what should I be charging? The current day rate based on 7.5 hours seems wholly inadequate but my contract has no provision for charging more.
    Should I agree to go based on, for example, double time including that spent travelling? They won't like this one bit.

Thank you,

HW
    What does it say in the contract?

Comment

Depends if you want a gig when you get back I guess

I did a ton of travelling with one client but it was day rate, food and hotels paid but could bill and extra £30 a day for the time I was away. Travelling time was billed as well and so was any weekend days away. It was take it or leave it and was made clear travel was may be required from the interview.

What's the case with you. Is this out of left field for you or were you aware there maybe some travel?

If you knew it might be a possibility and now it's hit you are not happy then I can't help thinking its tough. Should have considered this at the time.

If it's a new requirement then you have every right to hike the costs up for the inconvenience of a long trip away. I can't help double is just a bit steep. Most of us work away from home all week but that said we made that choice and time away is more of an inconvenience to some than others I guess.
      If my client offered me this id be on the next plane out but that's me.

End of the day what is it worth to you. If you feel so strongly about being away from the family then just tell them no as no amount money is worth it. If you can be persuaded by money then tell them what you want and negotiate. Be prepared to walk if you don't get what you want though, kicking up a massive stink and then backing down isn't going to make you look goodnat all.

If this is new and they expect you just to go without any negotiation I'd have a good think about the situation and wonder if you've become part and parcel or maybe D&C is being used a little too much. Would start my alarm bells ringing.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 3 February 2016, 00:06.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And make sure you book all the flights and hotels using your points credit cards and fly/stay with the same group so you rack up the traveller reward points.

Comment

Realistically I have to go, but what should I be charging? The current day rate based on 7.5 hours seems wholly inadequate but my contract has no provision for charging more.
          Last time I did it, I charged standard rate plus travel time.

If the client asked you if you'd be prepared to work away in the UK for two weeks and you accepted, would you be charging the same rate plus expenses, or would you be charging double? What difference does the location make, as long as you are paid to be there and you get the travel expenses paid?

If the client is willing to double your rate to do the same job in a different location, why aren't you demanding more money to do it in the current location?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thank you,

HW
            Out of curiosity where do they want to send you? There are certainly states I would tend to avoid (Texas springs to mind), but try to think of it like a free holiday if it's not a pit they're sending you to. When my kid was little I hated being away from home and I had to do a lot of training courses at the time so you have my sympathies.

Comment

I would keep things simple, say you will bill for the 14 days if you work them or not, as NLUK said make sure you book things yourself to ensure points/etc. are for you.

However I would be more worried by the comment "Realistically I have to go"

Only permies have to do anything, contractors have a choice where they balance the pro's and con's

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If it's not specified in the contract, then you charge them day rate plus expenses. If you are away over a weekend, you bill them day rate on the Saturday & Sunday as well.

Being a contractor means you may need to travel to other places to get work. A lot of people just see us as being overpaid, but we have to sacrifice for that. In my early days contracting it was quite common for me to spend less than 100 nights per year in my own bed, and it's probably only the last 5 years that it has gone up to around 200.

On the flip side, I'm platinum Marriott and Gold ICH, have had free holidays on points and recently traded in a load of them for about £1.5k of M&S and John Lewis vouchers.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  If it's not specified in the contract, then you charge them day rate plus expenses. If you are away over a weekend, you bill them day rate on the Saturday & Sunday as well.

Being a contractor means you may need to travel to other places to get work. A lot of people just see us as being overpaid, but we have to sacrifice for that. In my early days contracting it was quite common for me to spend less than 100 nights per year in my own bed, and it's probably only the last 5 years that it has gone up to around 200.

On the flip side, I'm platinum Marriott and Gold ICH, have had free holidays on points and recently traded in a load of them for about £1.5k of M&S and John Lewis vouchers.
                  Pfff.. Spire Elite here..

Comment

Nice. I see they are expiring their points these days - they didn't used to.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X