• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi...About to go contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If someone can't be arsed to use capital letters then it's a bad time.

HTH
    your CUK login proves we have bad time all the time

HTH

Comment

Had a face to face with the Recruitment Consultant this morning.

The Client is releasing new roles at the end of June, and it seems I'm in a strong position....a number of former colleagues, now working at the client have been recommending me. Looks like a couple of them are keen for me to work on their Programmes / Projects too.

Timing wise, a start date of early / mid August is acceptable, so fits in perfectly with resignation and notice period plans I had.

I know nothing is certain, but at the mo', it is still looking positive.

Comment

Originally posted by DSF70 View Post

The Client is releasing new roles at the end of June, and it seems I'm in a strong position....a number of former colleagues, now working at the client have been recommending me. Looks like a couple of them are keen for me to work on their Programmes / Projects too.

Timing wise, a start date of early / mid August is acceptable, so fits in perfectly with resignation and notice period plans I had.

Oh dear.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Call them correctly - pimp. And a face to face? Really? Did they ask for two references?

Strong position -yep that the line they bring out to get you to bite. Yes nothing is certain, don't be surprised if you hear nothing from now on.

Welcome to Contracting.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Thanks guys, you are my reality check. I'm not being sarcastic either.

I know promises are made, and not kept, things change at the Client, often at short notice. It's an uncertain world.

Comment

QH is right. All the agent thinks about is his bottom line. He'll tell you exactly what you want to hear to keep you on side so he can decide to use and abuse or cast aside later. He has no power to dictate if/when/what work is coming up let alone know if you will pass the interview.
              If he finds someone whose a better fit he won't think twice about using them either. .. And so on and so on. To hang any hopes on this is going to lead to tears IMO. Treat as a fairly small iron in the fire and continue looking. In the unlikely event it comes off great. If it doesn't you've not lost too much.

And just bear in mind, what the pimp has learnt is that you are new, eager and desperate for this gig. If it does come off by god he is going to screw you.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

All the best to you, but I think you are being very naive. Don't get me wrong.
                The things I have highlighted in your message, are the typical signs (feelings) you get or given by pimps (and even in some cases like yours, by your own ex-colleagues).

The market I hear at this time is s**t by just reading up one other thread "State of the market" under Business/Contracts forum.

Anyway, best of lucks!
                You said you had a war-chest of 12 months at least, which is good, but remember even a tiny gap in your CV can kill.
                Read up threads like above and think carefully, especially when you are at this naive moment of going face-2-face with pimps for chats!!!!!
                Also remember, there is a reason why we call them pimps!
                They are NOT consultants!
                Last edited by Milkyway; 21 May 2016, 09:57.

Comment

One other word of caution. It is incredibly difficult for an employee to recommend someone to be taken on, it's even harder for a contractor who isn't part of the company. Processes are in place to ensure that all candidates are treated equally and are enforced at most companies.

As you have no doubt read on the site, nothing in contracting is certain until you start work.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks for the experienced words. I've got to start somewhere though.

Will just have to see how it pans out.

Comment

Hi all.

Been reading this forum for a good while as I prepare to go contracting. Firstly, thanks for all the great info, especially things I might not have considered.

I haven't resigned from permie job yet, but have had some good conversations with a recruitment consultant who's placed some ex-colleagues of mine. They've also given me a good recommendation, but I know I've got to secure the gig first. Will be a big change after 20+ years in one place, but really excited by it.

Looking forward to being part of this community.
                      How long is you notice period from your permie?

Comment

Working...
                      X