• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi...About to go contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cj1978 View Post
    Hi all ,
    I 'm currently in the process of leaving my employed job. I've had good meetings with a new customer. They have asked how much i charge for mileage to and from service calls and installs (pence per mile ) . I will be getting a transit sized van. Has anyone got any ideas of the going rate for this?
    Thanks in advance
    Chris
    You know this is an IT contractor forum don't you ?
    Nevertheless provide some more info and we may be able to help you...

Comment

Originally posted by Cj1978 View Post
      Hi all ,
      I 'm currently in the process of leaving my employed job. I've had good meetings with a new customer. They have asked how much i charge for mileage to and from service calls and installs (pence per mile ) . I will be getting a transit sized van. Has anyone got any ideas of the going rate for this?
      Thanks in advance
      Chris
      Not sure why you'd resurrect a six month old thread?

Anyway, YourCo can charge a customer what it likes. What YourCo pays you is not deemed a BIK if the rate is no more than 45p/mile for the first 10k miles per tax year. Google mileage rates and you'll see this. https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene.../rules-for-tax

Comment

Just thought I’d give you all an update.

Coming to end of my first gig (Programme implements soon, and a few weeks post-live support), couple of renewals, will be 17 months in total. A decent start to contracting....but I guess this is the bit where a noob finds out how hard (or easy) it is to get gig number 2.

Looking forward to Xmas off, but would be nice to have something to look forward to in the new year.

Money isn’t a problem, built up best part of 2 years war chest, but that’s not the point.

Comment

Originally posted by DSF70 View Post
          Just thought I’d give you all an update.

Coming to end of my first gig (Programme implements soon, and a few weeks post-live support), couple of renewals, will be 17 months in total. A decent start to contracting....but I guess this is the bit where a noob finds out how hard (or easy) it is to get gig number 2.

Looking forward to Xmas off, but would be nice to have something to look forward to in the new year.

Money isn’t a problem, built up best part of 2 years war chest, but that’s not the point.
          Hopefully you've continued to build the war chest over the past 17 months, not a bad time of the year to end, it's definitely quiet at the moment but hopefully January/February it creeps back up again.

17 months at your first gig could look good, as long as you don't tell them it overran because you were too slow

Comment

Originally posted by BenJeffrey View Post
            Hopefully you've continued to build the war chest over the past 17 months, not a bad time of the year to end, it's definitely quiet at the moment but hopefully January/February it creeps back up again.

17 months at your first gig could look good, as long as you don't tell them it overran because you were too slow
            It was his first gig which lasted 17 months.

He managed to build up 2 years war chest from those 17 months.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Yeah, the death of contracting. Enjoy.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BenJeffrey View Post

A bit like you having attention to detail as one of your key assets.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  A bit like you having attention to detail as one of your key assets.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So 3 and a bit years into contracting and I finish up on Monday.

Market is pretty quiet. A few of the usual suspects in my area preferring to recruit perms over contractors, but also a couple setting up offices nearby.

Built up a war chest to tide me over for a few years, so will see what comes up.

Will use my benchtime to go and do some football scouting. Had to keep putting off this little sideline whilst in contract.

Can’t complain though, been good experience to try somewhere else having been a “lifer” at former company.

Comment

So 3 and a bit years into contracting and I finish up on Monday.

Market is pretty quiet. A few of the usual suspects in my area preferring to recruit perms over contractors, but also a couple setting up offices nearby.

Built up a war chest to tide me over for a few years, so will see what comes up.

Will use my benchtime to go and do some football scouting. Had to keep putting off this little sideline whilst in contract.

Can’t complain though, been good experience to try somewhere else having been a “lifer” at former company.
                      Thanks for coming round and good luck for the future.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X