• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Planning Ahead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning Ahead

Good Afternoon

Just popping past to say hello. I've been a lurker for a while and thought I'd register.

I'm currently planning towards setting up a little one man band consultancy on my area of tech so I've been reading all the first timer posts and all the information that I've been able to get my hands on so far. I know most here are proper contractors (working on longer contracts than I'd be aiming at) but all of the information is very handy when considering going ltd

Yes, I'm going to get an accountant before doing anything

The area that I'm looking to move to will require a certain level of brand recognition to be viable, has anybody else had a similar experience? How long did you spend getting your brand out there before leaving permiedom? Any obvious pitfalls?

Thanks all

Originally posted by Burns View Post
    Good Afternoon

Just popping past to say hello. I've been a lurker for a while and thought I'd register.

I'm currently planning towards setting up a little one man band consultancy on my area of tech so I've been reading all the first timer posts and all the information that I've been able to get my hands on so far. I know most here are proper contractors (working on longer contracts than I'd be aiming at) but all of the information is very handy when considering going ltd

Yes, I'm going to get an accountant before doing anything

The area that I'm looking to move to will require a certain level of brand recognition to be viable, has anybody else had a similar experience? How long did you spend getting your brand out there before leaving permiedom? Any obvious pitfalls?

Thanks all
    What do you mean by brand recognition, on the assumption that you are intending to IT contract ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      What do you mean by brand recognition, on the assumption that you are intending to IT contract ?
      Oh and welcome btw. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Yeah, my apologies, I didn't make that too clear.

I'm looking to move more into the Consulting/Training rather than longer term contracts. Name recognition is a big part of the market in other countries but not in the UK (for the field I'm in at the moment). By brand, I really mean getting my name more well known, speaking at conferences, looking to further what I'm currently doing.

I'm happy with the perm role that I'm doing at the moment, but I'd like to build up to a point that I'm known in the community more than I currently am. I can do that while still perm. Then make the move towards a ltd and consulting/contracting.

Comment

Most of the guys on here use the limited company setup as a tax effective company structure, more than as a way of marketing/brand activity. There are some who do however, and will hopefully be able to more suitably answer your query. Good luck though.

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice.

I feel I've not explained myself very well. I'd like to set up my own Ltd and consult through it, it will be how most people on here use their Ltd (tax efficiency, director/owner). But before I get to that point I'm planning to do the groundwork to make it a viable company (that's where I've been talking about the brand thing) which I am currently working on.

I'm not at the point of it being viable to leave permiedom quite yet (need to build up a few month's expenses first, young family, might be a little while) but my company doesn't mind me talking at user groups/conferences and getting my name more known within the technology circle that I'm a part of. They also wouldn't mind me using annual leave in order to do a couple of consultations whilst still in permanent employment (current employer is relatively small and good to it's employees) which would give me some idea of how the consulting thing would go.

Comment

Working...
            X