• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FAIR PLAY ???????y

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAIR PLAY ???????y

Hi people

I am fairly new to contracting been on the same job for the past 11 months now.

Here's the current set up .....
    We are a 6 man team or as we call it 3 on 3 on standby mode (just incase).

There are 3 of us out of the 6 that are doing 95% of the work load.When we approach the so called man in charge of the contract (when he's not playing in his phone )He says "yeah it's tulip that the other guys aren't as skilled eh"
    And then walks off and plays on his phone.

Over the past few weeks now we've decided to up the pace even more and get the job done quicker .

Now the "team leader" is raging that we are smashing the job 1.5 to 2.0 hrs early as he can't claim the overtime paid by his company.

We get paid the same no matter what.

Here's the question ...Where do i stand when I have completed my job can i sit in the canteen area ???can i leave the site???

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Fixed rate contract for you, is it?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I can't help but feel this is a sockie, but...

Traditional contractor wisdom would suggest that you get your work done in the manner least likely to antagonise the permies around you and whoever signs your timesheets. You seem to be going in exactly the opposite direction.

To answer your question more directly, there is nothing stopping you from going to the canteen or leaving site after "completing my job". But do you want your timesheet to be signed off at the end of the week, and do you want a contract renewal when the time comes?

Comment

Yeah fixed rate

For the full team as I said in the opening post there are 3 of the guys who cannot do the job that we can there like apprentices that get the same money as us.

Comment

Unless it breaks the terms of the contract you have, do whatever you feel like doing. If the TL loses overtime, that's his problem for having a team on a fixed rate who make more per hour by getting the work done more quickly.

Really - read your contract, act accordingly.

Under what circumstances, according to your contract, can you be asked to leave? And what are the consequences?

Comment

Actually didn't get a contract for this site
            I had one for the other site I was on same firm different location.Completely different job

This caused havoc when they had us in over the bank holiday on standard rate.

Permanent crew were on double time and a half and we got standard rate

Taking the piss

Comment

Originally posted by 2744 View Post
              Actually didn't get a contract for this site
              I had one for the other site I was on same firm different location.Completely different job

This caused havoc when they had us in over the bank holiday on standard rate.

Permanent crew were on double time and a half and we got standard rate

Taking the piss

No contract & been there for 11 months?

FTCer or FRCer getting a written contract as a pseudo permie is the first order of business, the "Man in Charge" if he is your manager or team leader has you over a barrel here and to be honest, I would suggest just staying by your work and going to a hot desk and reading up on emails or do some learning and pass the time. Don't give him any reason to fire you by heading off to the canteen or popping off home.

Comment

We were trying to even it out by going to canteen as the 3 lazy twats who'll do sweet f.a all week are demanding we do there work load on top of ours as we are faster and more skilled.

That's when we said f..k this get our job done and go for a sit down as we seen this the fairest way to approach the situation we are in.

Would we still be under the same terms as our old contract ??(as we didnt get a new one)

It stated that when the work load was done no matter if it had taken 1 hr or 15hrs we would be paid for 10 hrs regardless

Comment

Originally posted by 2744 View Post
                  Would we still be under the same terms as our old contract ??(as we didnt get a new one)
                  Probably
                  It stated that when the work load was done no matter if it had taken 1 hr or 15hrs we would be paid for 10 hrs regardless
                  Who defines the work load?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Probably
                    Who defines the work load?
                    The team leader gives out the roles of the job.
                    When we suggested to him rotate the jobs around we get the same answer
                    "No body else can do your job so yous are stuck there"
                    The frustrating thing is we are all on the same wage

Comment

Working...
                    X