• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie to it all!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie to it all!

I'm excited to say I started my Ltd company! I'm new to it all but have already got the ball rolling on so many things, registering with Companies House, HMRC, Insurance quotes, picking the right accountant - never thought it would be such an important decision!

My husband is the contractor (and an awesome one at that), but he isn't good at the paperwork/getting things done on time/boring day to day stuff - that's my skill set. So we decided to play to each others strengths. Him the Solution Architect/employee and me the Company Director of a Ltd company.

Any beginners advice welcome

So your husband is an awesome contractor. Who has been doing all the paperwork/banking etc. for him up to now?

My Golden Rule: Cash is King.
    Generate revenue and keep an eye on your cashflow. If for example you are a plumber and stock up on tools, fixtures etc., what are you going to do when the taxman comes calling? Pay him in plumbing supplies? If you splash out on expensive IT, phones, shared offices the same applies.

Comment

An architect that can't do paperwork? Feeble excuse. I hate doing it as well but I know how to, I could hardly do my job if I didn't.

Anyway, good luck with it all. There's a lot you haven't learned yet but it is a far better way of working than being a wage slave. I assume you've read the guides over there on the right and have downloaded and studied IPSE's Guide to Freelancing (look it up on http://ipse.co.uk). Between them they should fill the knowledge gaps.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Welcome.

My advice is make sure he works everyday possible and you spend your days engaging on this forum.

You wont regret it.

Comment

Before now he was an employee for a bigger company that charged him out at a day rate while giving him an annual salary. So he never had to worry about HMRC/Company accounts etc,

As for him being the Solution Architect and not doing/liking paperwork. He usually gets so sucked into the project he is doing, that he has no brain power left lol. Great with computers and building systems and will write all of that documentation - just not the boring mundane paperwork at least until it becomes an issue for him.

p.s. Thanks for the tips
          Last edited by NikkiAtStormInc; 12 May 2018, 11:07.

Comment

Working...
          X