• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rent as a business expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Just out of interest, why is it an issue?
    It's bad enough the bills and post that some ex tenants leave. I'm not up for dealing with something else. I don't know what trouble it could cause but it's in my contract so they don't do it. It's a risk I don't want.

Comment

Originally posted by yonyonson View Post
      Hello all,

Newbie here and to the world of contracting.

I started back in March this year. I have registered my personal residence as my business address, although I work onsite for the contracting role.

Am I able to claim my rent (which is both my personal and business residence) as a business expense? I could change my work patterns slightly as there is an option to work from home on occasions (which is my business address in this case), or will HMRC say this is illegal / not a business expense?

Also, can I claim back personal expense (from my limited company) for the rent that I have paid so far since March?

Many thanks in advance for any advice / help, and apologies if this has been posted before.

Of course not lol. If it was that easy to trick the taxman everyone would do it. Unfortunately, your idea is more likely to lead to an audit and a big bill.

I work from home, because the company has no office in the UK. And I am allowed to claim 1/3 of my rent as a business expense. Literally because I am using it as my sole office, for 8 hours a day.

But this is very different circumstances to you

Comment

Originally posted by Matt88 View Post
        I work from home, because the company has no office in the UK. And I am allowed to claim 1/3 of my rent as a business expense. Literally because I am using it as my sole office, for 8 hours a day.
        Who has allowed you to do this?

40 hours a week isn't 1/3 of a week. 'Wholly and Exclusively' is the test for allowable expenses, so rent on a private residence would not normally be allowable.
        Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          Who has allowed you to do this?

40 hours a week isn't 1/3 of a week. 'Wholly and Exclusively' is the test for allowable expenses, so rent on a private residence would not normally be allowable.
          Have a look at his posting history and some of the other advice he's given. Then you'll know whether to bother with anything said in the post you are questioning.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X