• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to this...not sure what is happening!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this...not sure what is happening!!

Hi

A (big) bit about me and sorry in advance for long post. I have written everything as a timeline.

13 March 2017 – started contracting for the agency I signed up with and was given a month-long temp job the same day.

9 June 2017 – ended my first temp job and was offered another contract, again temp, which was to last for 3 months.

12 June 2017 – started my second contract.

12 October 2017 – told by senior manager that he could not see my contract lasting past Christmas.

27 November 2017 – another temp contractor I worked with within the team left without telling anyone and so my contract was extended again to another 3 months.

21 February 2018 – a permanent colleague within the team left and at the same time some processes were being changed which meant I was to be kept on for another 4 months.

End of April 2018 – some more processes were being automated and hence babysat to ensure smooth transition, quicker processing and reduction in errors. As a result I was to be kept on for another 3 months.

16 July 2018 – I was informed by senior management that my contract was due to end within the next few weeks and I was advised to look for and apply for any other jobs within the building. I was also offered support and both bosses would put in a good word for me. My immediate manager told me “as much as we'd like to keep you forever and ever on this team we can't because our hands are tied.”

Start of August 2018 – another colleague confirmed she was leaving (no date given) and I figured that since she was leaving did that put my position in any better stead. Both managers said that as the transition for automation is becoming much smoother my contract was in their words “on its last legs” and that the other colleague leaving would only give me up until the end of August 2018. The following week I was informed by my agency rep of a job starting the following day and that since my contract was due to end anyway and both managers said it'd be fine for me to look for and take any other jobs I was under the impression they would be ok to release me. Both managers then responded to this situation by saying my contract was to be extended again to the end of September 2018 even though they both told me it would terminate at the end of August 2018.

6 September 2018 – I sent an email to both managers (I communicate with senior staff better through written than I do verbal) stating that since I was going away the following week and that I'd only have another 2 or 3 weeks left of the contract would I still have a job to come back to should they have no need for me. My immediate manager responded saying “ideally we'd like to keep you until mid-October. I suggest you keep your agency rep informed and to look for and take any positions that are within your best interest.” The other manager agreed and said the other colleague left earlier than anticipated “but see how things go and let's help you get a job somewhere within the building.”

19 September 2018 – I showed my agency rep the email conversation on the 6th September and he said there was an ongoing contract with the potential to go permanent within the building. I said I was interested and he told me more about it. Once he told me more about it I said I was interested and I'd like to run it through my husband (as he's been my voice of reason throughout this whole chain of events) and my agency rep said that was fine.
    My manager then came over to me when I went back to my desk and I was on my own asking me if I'd been taken off by my rep concerning another job. I said that yes, another job had been offered and I told him more about it. He said by what I've said “the cons would be if you said no to this offer” and he said “congratulations either way”. Talked it through with my husband and he said to go for it.

20 September 2018 – I told my agency rep I accepted the offer and he got back to me within 10 minutes with the confirmation of a start date which was to be that day for training, even though initially he said the new team would like me to start the following week. My agency rep then told my immediate manager who said for me to finish work at 2pm that day as I still had work of my own to complete.
    I managed to get my work done an hour before my lunch but during the time I'd been working my immediate manager had been in touch with my agency rep to ask if I could be reverted to my current role on his team as he didn't know if my timesheet was to be filled out and submitted to him even though I would not be officially on his cost centre anymore as of 2pm that day. My agency rep replied that my wages and payroll information would be directly and immediately transferred to the new one. And so with that confirmed I left my team at the scheduled time, but not without my colleagues inviting me back to the section for a chat. I said I'd be back the following day.

21 September 2018 – I started my first full day with my new client and as good as my word I went down to my former team for a chat during my lunch hour. My former immediate manager informed me he'd sent me an email asking me who my new manager was. I replied I didn't read this email as my access for the new systems was being created hence no computer usage and he said that he understood and that he'd asked my agency rep who my new client was and had gotten this information. Is it right or wrong for a former client to ask a representative for information on my new client?

I just have no idea what is going on right now or what to do.

Thank you!

I'll have to find a quiet moment to digest all that but you've seriously got to understand what you are and what you do. These are not temp jobs or temp contracts. Temping is another world altogether. Its just a contract. They are for a set length by their nature so no need for the temp stuff.

And your manager? You aren't an employee now. They are your clients, not your managers.

I've a feeling IR35 is going to be an issue here both with the way you think/act and the working practices but I'll have to read back to understand the detail.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X