• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permies don't like me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scott72 View Post
    My contract is not being renewed because permies have complained about me.

I've not broken breath to them, they know nothing about me. Only thing I can think of is honest comments on their code. I have many more years experience than them, working with much lower level languages, but I've not been arrogant or condescending. If anything I've been constructive.

My work has been of the required standard and I've turned up on time, been polite to everyone I've spoken to etc.

I'm not that bothered about leaving the job, the work's quite dull - Angular and Typescript with simple C# - but I would like to ask the contractors on here if they have been in a similar situation and how they handled it.

I take it that getting involved in reviewing anything permie might be a stupid idea!!!!!!!!
    Your work isn't just writing code and giving code reviews. Actually, your main job is earning money, and in order to do that you need to know who your stakeholders are.

Often, the PM or whoever you think your stakeholder is will just ask the permies whether or not you're any good. So buy the permies coffee and tell them some dirty jokes, because their answer is going to be coloured by how much they like you.

Being "polite" isn't good enough.

Comment

I've not broken breath to them, they know nothing about me. Only thing I can think of is honest comments on their code. I have many more years experience than them, working with much lower level languages, but I've not been arrogant or condescending. If anything I've been constructive.

My work has been of the required standard and I've turned up on time, been polite to everyone I've spoken to etc.

I'm not that bothered about leaving the job, the work's quite dull - Angular and Typescript with simple C# - but I would like to ask the contractors on here if they have been in a similar situation and how they handled it.

I take it that getting involved in reviewing anything permie might be a stupid idea!!!!!!!!
      Happens all the time on contracts contractors are treated like crap by the perm staff who often aren’t that nice and refuse to pay back expenses too so watch out for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Beiberbuffet View Post
        Happens all the time on contracts contractors are treated like crap by the perm staff who often aren’t that nice and refuse to pay back expenses too so watch out for that.
        I don't know where you've worked but I've never experienced this in almost 8 years of contracting in several different sectors. On the contrary, I've been treated as well as the perm staff.

Comment

I can see why

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Old thread resurrection alert!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Old thread resurrection alert!
              There have been quite a few of these recently for threads going back many years - what's going on?!?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                There have been quite a few of these recently for threads going back many years - what's going on?!?
                Bored sockies.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm an anxious type and I hate worrying about work. It's weird, I keep feeling I shouldn't upset the permies
                  Learn not to. You are in different worlds, as I said before. In my work I've not been able to be the grey man, since I'm there to drive them to do "it" better and obviously have to come across as someone who knows more than they do. Hasn't stopped one or two from having an ill-educated pop at the puffed up consultant screwing the taxman and them out of thousands.

Ignore them. If they were any good, they'd have your job.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I've not broken breath to them, they know nothing about me.
                    Why not? It doesn't take very much effort really. Probably first step read "How to win friends and influence people." Which at least gives you the basic idea of what you should be doing, The chapter on give a dog a good name might be worth reading if you have been criticising their work.

Simple gestures can cost very little, but make a big difference. Do you want to be the guy who the next time work comes up, people go Hey I wonder if Scott is free?

Comment

Originally posted by Beiberbuffet View Post
                      As mentioned elsewhere recently.
                      Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      If everywhere you go smells of dog tulip - check your shoes.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X