• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permies don't like me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Why not? It doesn't take very much effort really. Probably first step read "How to win friends and influence people." Which at least gives you the basic idea of what you should be doing, The chapter on give a dog a good name might be worth reading if you have been criticising their work.

Simple gestures can cost very little, but make a big difference. Do you want to be the guy who the next time work comes up, people go Hey I wonder if Scott is free?
    This is the reason I bought samosas for permie staff in my team every week in a contract few years ago. Samosas are only a quid and I ended up spending a fiver but everyone was genuinely grateful. They are still in touch with me. We are contractors and earn a lot. A little spending for the permies goes a long way IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
      This is the reason I bought samosas for permie staff in my team every week in a contract few years ago. Samosas are only a quid and I ended up spending a fiver but everyone was genuinely grateful. They are still in touch with me. We are contractors and earn a lot. A little spending for the permies goes a long way IMO.
      That started off sounding like you made a huge effort and then discovered you spent a fiver on 5 samosas

Yes, it's the thought that counts. I gave all my filled loyalty cards for the in-house coffee shop to the permie team when I left.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Yes, it's the thought that counts. I gave all my filled loyalty cards for the in-house coffee shop to the permie team when I left.
        Shush you stole one of my secrets....

It worked as they asked me back to do further work.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That started off sounding like you made a huge effort and then discovered you spent a fiver on 5 samosas

White collar workers are all tight. No one even buys a packet of biscuits to share with the team. So, when someone makes that extra effort to buy samosas, it gets noticed.

I have seen some just-got-off-the-boat Indians who ask their wives to cook biriyani and then bring it to work for their team and other teams as well. They think it's a great way of increasing their rapport and safeguards them against when they keep flopping at work.

Comment

White collar workers are all tight. No one even buys a packet of biscuits to share with the team. So, when someone makes that extra effort to buy samosas, it gets noticed.

I have seen some just-got-off-the-boat Indians who ask their wives to cook biriyani and then bring it to work for their team and other teams as well. They think it's a great way of increasing their rapport and safeguards them against when they keep flopping at work.
            I used to work with a big team of Indians and they were obsessed with biriyani. Once or twice I managed to get in when someone's mother in law cooked a giant batch.

Comment

When I worked at Maersk, Aldgate, every Hindu festival was celebrated with loads of samosas and Indian sweets.

They'd place a bulk order with somewhere on Brick Lane and the canteen knew to scale back how much food to prep as no-one would be eating there on those days.

Comment

When I worked at Maersk, Aldgate, every Hindu festival was celebrated with loads of samosas and Indian sweets.

They'd place a bulk order with somewhere on Brick Lane and the canteen knew to scale back how much food to prep as no-one would be eating there on those days.
                Ohhh, when I worked at Liverpool st, the samosas would also be ordered from Bricklane. I once went looking for the shop but it was closed that day. The shop is called Ambala.

But, these samosas are tiny compared to the ones they bought/brought at another place I worked at. A box full of big samosas from somewhere in Reading.

Who can say NO to free food, eh?

Comment

My secret was tubs of Haribo from Costco or Makro. Cheap as chips, but incredibly popular.

Comment

Working...
                  X