• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unwelcome

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unwelcome

I’m writing this because I hope it helps someone else in future. I don’t know why but this is the most unwelcoming online place I have ever encountered filled with suspicion and doubt.

In twenty four hours I have been called a fraud, a cockwomble multiple times and someone who lives in the south west.

I hope you are more welcoming to others.
    Apparently you can’t follow anyone

Three responses deleted. This is Welcome/FAQ, not General.

ProfitableContractor. Best stay out of General.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ProfitableContractor View Post
      I’m writing this because I hope it helps someone else in future. I don’t know why but this is the most unwelcoming online place I have ever encountered filled with suspicion and doubt.

In twenty four hours I have been called a fraud, a cockwomble multiple times and someone who lives in the south west.

I hope you are more welcoming to others.
      You are Welcome
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I thought cockwomble was a term of endearment.

Don't take it personally, for most of your antagonists this forum is the only life they have.

Comment

Originally posted by ProfitableContractor View Post
          Sounds like you have fitted right in.

Comment

Sorry about the whinge, but...

FWIW, I agree with the OP. It is odd that a business based forum, where all that unites us is our mode of making a living, is an Internet scream fest, and has been for at least the last 13 years. Post anything new and you will get, within an hour or two: 7 or 8 unhelpful answers, 2 or 3 properly rude, one or two written in apparent semi-rage, and probably 0 good. And its not just in "General".

I would understand it if this were some video game forum, or a dodgy branch of 4chan. But it isn't, and we are probably mostly aged 30-65 in here. Yet the whole place is overwhelmed with snowballing rage, and dominated by a few individuals who seem to post hourly, even when they are in contract. They encourage arrogance and hectoring, so the rage becomes normal and everybody just ends up balling each other out.

The whole place would benefit from stricter modding. The current mods do a good, and thankless job, but to clean this place up, much stricter rules would have to be applied. And it might be hard to impose new rules on certain individuals who have behaved just as they like over so many years, and in whose lives this forum now plays such an apparently large part. I like the banter and the laffs here, but I can do without the deafening fog-horn of bullying and aggression which sometimes seems to be the main feature of these forums.
            Last edited by unixman; 3 July 2019, 10:08. Reason: grammar

Comment

Indeed. It isn't as bad since the BR... subforum started (and arseguru left) but still too much cretin calling. Nice just to have proper arguments about stuff.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Indeed. It isn't as bad since the BR... subforum started (and arseguru left) but still too much cretin calling. Nice just to have proper arguments about stuff.
                Cretin

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  Sorry about the whinge, but...

FWIW, I agree with the OP. It is odd that a business based forum, where all that unites us is our mode of making a living, is an Internet scream fest, and has been for at least the last 13 years. Post anything new and you will get, within an hour or two: 7 or 8 unhelpful answers, 2 or 3 properly rude, one or two written in apparent semi-rage, and probably 0 good. And its not just in "General".

I would understand it if this were some video game forum, or a dodgy branch of 4chan. But it isn't, and we are probably mostly aged 30-65 in here. Yet the whole place is overwhelmed with snowballing rage, and dominated by a few individuals who seem to post hourly, even when they are in contract. They encourage arrogance and hectoring, so the rage becomes normal and everybody just ends up balling each other out.

The whole place would benefit from stricter modding. The current mods do a good, and thankless job, but to clean this place up, much stricter rules would have to be applied. And it might be hard to impose new rules on certain individuals who have behaved just as they like over so many years, and in whose lives this forum now plays such an apparently large part. I like the banter and the laffs here, but I can do without the deafening fog-horn of bullying and aggression which sometimes seems to be the main feature of these forums.
                  There are two types of contractor those who are good and those are bad and have social skills so bad they can't hold down a permanent job. Unfortunately this place seems to be crawling with the latter at the moment.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                    There are two types of contractor those who are good and those are bad and have social skills so bad they can't hold down a permanent job. Unfortunately this place seems to be crawling with the latter at the moment.
                    Life is not just black and white. Multitude of grey.

CUK has always attracted the socially retarded cretins. Those who are particularly bad get "promoted" to moderator....

Comment

Working...
                    X