Unwelcome Unwelcome
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Unwelcome

  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...

    ProfitableContractor is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    22

    Default Unwelcome

    I’m writing this because I hope it helps someone else in future. I don’t know why but this is the most unwelcoming online place I have ever encountered filled with suspicion and doubt.

    In twenty four hours I have been called a fraud, a cockwomble multiple times and someone who lives in the south west.

    I hope you are more welcoming to others.
    Apparently you can’t follow anyone

  2. #2

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,644

    Default

    Three responses deleted. This is Welcome/FAQ, not General.

    ProfitableContractor. Best stay out of General.
    Duct tape holds the universe together. In quantum chromodynamics it's known as the strong force. You get it in different colours, but metallic grey is best.

  3. #3

    Lord of Ruin

    Diver is NOT a disguised employee

    Diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    22,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfitableContractor View Post
    I’m writing this because I hope it helps someone else in future. I don’t know why but this is the most unwelcoming online place I have ever encountered filled with suspicion and doubt.

    In twenty four hours I have been called a fraud, a cockwomble multiple times and someone who lives in the south west.

    I hope you are more welcoming to others.
    You are Welcome
    Confusion is a natural state of being

  4. #4

    Super poster

    ladymuck - scorchio!

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,983

    Default

    I thought cockwomble was a term of endearment.

    Don't take it personally, for most of your antagonists this forum is the only life they have.

  5. #5

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    102,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfitableContractor View Post
    In twenty four hours I have been called a fraud, a cockwomble multiple times and someone who lives in the south west.
    Sounds like you have fitted right in.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors

    unixman 's job has never been outsourced

    unixman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    Sorry about the whinge, but...

    FWIW, I agree with the OP. It is odd that a business based forum, where all that unites us is our mode of making a living, is an Internet scream fest, and has been for at least the last 13 years. Post anything new and you will get, within an hour or two: 7 or 8 unhelpful answers, 2 or 3 properly rude, one or two written in apparent semi-rage, and probably 0 good. And its not just in "General".

    I would understand it if this were some video game forum, or a dodgy branch of 4chan. But it isn't, and we are probably mostly aged 30-65 in here. Yet the whole place is overwhelmed with snowballing rage, and dominated by a few individuals who seem to post hourly, even when they are in contract. They encourage arrogance and hectoring, so the rage becomes normal and everybody just ends up balling each other out.

    The whole place would benefit from stricter modding. The current mods do a good, and thankless job, but to clean this place up, much stricter rules would have to be applied. And it might be hard to impose new rules on certain individuals who have behaved just as they like over so many years, and in whose lives this forum now plays such an apparently large part. I like the banter and the laffs here, but I can do without the deafening fog-horn of bullying and aggression which sometimes seems to be the main feature of these forums.
    Last edited by unixman; 3rd July 2019 at 10:08. Reason: grammar

  7. #7

    More fingers than teeth

    xoggoth - scorchio!

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    13,082

    Default

    Indeed. It isn't as bad since the BR... subforum started (and arseguru left) but still too much cretin calling. Nice just to have proper arguments about stuff.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  8. #8

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    102,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    Indeed. It isn't as bad since the BR... subforum started (and arseguru left) but still too much cretin calling. Nice just to have proper arguments about stuff.
    Cretin




  9. #9

    Fingers like lightning

    BlueSharp 's job has never been outsourced

    BlueSharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unixman View Post
    Sorry about the whinge, but...

    FWIW, I agree with the OP. It is odd that a business based forum, where all that unites us is our mode of making a living, is an Internet scream fest, and has been for at least the last 13 years. Post anything new and you will get, within an hour or two: 7 or 8 unhelpful answers, 2 or 3 properly rude, one or two written in apparent semi-rage, and probably 0 good. And its not just in "General".

    I would understand it if this were some video game forum, or a dodgy branch of 4chan. But it isn't, and we are probably mostly aged 30-65 in here. Yet the whole place is overwhelmed with snowballing rage, and dominated by a few individuals who seem to post hourly, even when they are in contract. They encourage arrogance and hectoring, so the rage becomes normal and everybody just ends up balling each other out.

    The whole place would benefit from stricter modding. The current mods do a good, and thankless job, but to clean this place up, much stricter rules would have to be applied. And it might be hard to impose new rules on certain individuals who have behaved just as they like over so many years, and in whose lives this forum now plays such an apparently large part. I like the banter and the laffs here, but I can do without the deafening fog-horn of bullying and aggression which sometimes seems to be the main feature of these forums.
    There are two types of contractor those who are good and those are bad and have social skills so bad they can't hold down a permanent job. Unfortunately this place seems to be crawling with the latter at the moment.

  10. #10

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    102,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSharp View Post
    There are two types of contractor those who are good and those are bad and have social skills so bad they can't hold down a permanent job. Unfortunately this place seems to be crawling with the latter at the moment.
    Life is not just black and white. Multitude of grey.

    CUK has always attracted the socially retarded cretins. Those who are particularly bad get "promoted" to moderator....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •