• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Laurel, and Hardy handshake to all IPSE Refugees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    But they already have and no-one is using it??
    Is IPSE on its way out then?
    I am new to contracting & have seen a lot of negativity in regards to IPSE. Should I not even contemplate joining it?
    James

Comment

Originally posted by james12 View Post
      I am new to contracting & have seen a lot of negativity in regards to IPSE. Should I not even contemplate joining it?
      James
      Depends

Are you are returning mum from maternity leave with poor broadband? - if so yes join

If you are an IT contractor who’s only worry is IR35 probably not as 20 years and £75 million (fag packet cacl) of members money spent, IR35 kills our business stone dead in the coming months

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

James
        Negativity from some - mostly those who haven't accepted that the world is moving on, and one or two working ancient agendas..

Ignore them, and the other areas that IPSE are moving into. Just make a simple commercial decision if membership is cost effective. Quite a lot of people think it is.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

..and take up the insurance from QDOS.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

James
            There's always been a lot of negativity towards IPSE.

IPSE made some changes to their governance last year, which was unpopular with many of us, but hasn't fundamentally affected what IPSE do.

I'm still a member, and happy to recommend membership - both for the benefits, and for the lobbying work they do on IR35 - it may be ineffective, but I don't think that means they shouldn't be trying.

As regards to whether it's "on it's way out", it may be that once the IR35 changes come into the private sector, many members may feel they no longer want to operate as a business and therefore IPSE may not be for them. IPSE are broadening their membership base to counteract that risk. It's going to be around for a while - how it shapes up long term remains to be seen.

Comment

James
              In terms of lobbying, IPSE are about to fall well behind. HOME | Loancharge is taking over.

In terms of insurance, IPSE are good. QDOS are better.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                ..and take up the insurance from QDOS.
                As well as IPSE membership?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

In terms of insurance, IPSE are good. QDOS are better.
                So do most people have both IPSE & QDOS (or another insurance provider)?

Is there not a one stop shop? Or is it naive to think one company/organisation can do it all?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                In terms of lobbying, IPSE are about to fall well behind. HOME | Loancharge is taking over.
                Is there still mileage in lobbying? Not to sound pessimistic, IR35 feels like its here to stay. Isn't it about damage limitation now?

Thanks for your replies everyone!
                Last edited by james12; 23 October 2019, 09:41.

Comment

There are some subtle differences between the package IPSE offers and the individual items you can buy from Qdos to make up your own package. I would recommend you look at both and consider what you need vs the cost and make your own decision.

You get the benefit of IPSE's lobbying whether or not you go with them.

Comment

Working...
                  X