Day rate skimming Day rate skimming - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 14 of 14

Nervous Newbie

mgrover has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Did you discuss your rate with the client?
    He asked and I told.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by mgrover View Post
    He asked and I told.
    OK, you might want to read the contract you signed with the agent.

You might also want to check whether he was telling you how much he was paying plus VAT, whether you are looking at how much ends up in your back pocket, how many intermediaries there are between you and him, etc, etc
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

Nervous Newbie

mgrover has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, you might want to read the contract you signed with the agent.

You might also want to check whether he was telling you how much he was paying plus VAT, whether you are looking at how much ends up in your back pocket, how many intermediaries there are between you and him, etc, etc
    Doesn't seem to be anything in there about it.

But that VAT point is a very good ones actually. It would bring their margins inline with whats expected.

edit: No it doesn't include vat

edit1: hmm it may fall under what they define as confidential

“Confidential Information” means any information relating to the business and affairs of both the Company and the
    Client and to the identity and business affairs of either parties’ customers and Clients and potential customers and
    Clients which comes to either parties’ attention or possession and which both parties regard or could reasonably be
    expected to regard as confidential, whether or not any such tangible information is marked ‘confidential’."

This doesn't fall under both the client and company so who knows.
    Last edited by mgrover; 14th April 2020 at 10:19. Reason: update

Still gathering requirements...

password has no reputation

Skimming is the wrong word to use here imho. Absolutely creaming it is the correct terminology I think.

I would regard this as "peak" "creaming it" by the agency and you can't fault them for it... they are winning if they are successful at this with many suppliers, i.e. you.

As has previously been said, you need to learn to negotiate.. I picked up a contract recently (even in these times) and said I won't be working for quoted rate (and went quiet) they ultimately admitted their margin about £50 per day and we subsequently agreed on a better rate for me and less for them. it was still a significant haircut for me but it was still very much a case of meeting half way.

Just negotiate.. but also know the market and your skill demand and know when to hold and to fold. Pardon the cliche, but it's true.