• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day rate skimming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day rate skimming

So I had an initial contract of 13 days which was great, turns out the agency was skimming 50% off my day rate. Nothing I can do about it now. Then I was asked to extend for 6 months, even better, but said the client can't afford the same rate as before, you'd have to lose about £50 a day. Turns out they were still taking £200 a day off my rate.

Now am not an idiot I always knew they'd be making some kind of margin, probably about 20%. But this is like double that. Is there anything I can do about it?

Aside from either threaten to quit or they give me my monies? Or is there a more appropriate way of going about it?

Also soon there going to ask me to take on even more work which I was going to up my day rate for anyways so should I just ask for what I want under the guise of that to save any conflict?

This is a pretty sweet gig so I don't really wanna be dropping the am handing my notice in or less card.

Cheers

The agency isnt skimming anything. They won the business, you get a portion of their income, not the other way round.

Learn to negotiate. The agency has recovered most of their initial costs, talk them into reducing their margin. Or walk away...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      The agency isnt skimming anything. They won the business, you get a portion of their income, not the other way round.

Learn to negotiate. The agency has recovered most of their initial costs, talk them into reducing their margin. Or walk away...
      Hmm maybe skimming isn't the best choice of word.

Comment

How did you find out how much the agency was taking? Are you sure?

Does this post help https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...is#post2737124 ?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          How did you find out how much the agency was taking? Are you sure?

Does this post help https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...is#post2737124 ?
          Spoke to the client, they were pissed because effectively their paying way over the odds. So realistically I might get nothing out of this when they threaten to cut the prices.
          Last edited by mgrover; 13 April 2020, 18:06.

Comment

Originally posted by mgrover View Post
            Spoke to the client, they were pissed because effectively their paying way over the odds. So realistically I might get nothing out of this when they threaten to cut the prices.
            Well that's ok, if the rate you are on is the one you were happy with when you started...

Look at it this way - the client wants you, the agency wants the continuing income. You are not dropping your rate or you walk away. The agency then has to decide how to react, and logically will take the hit on the basis that 6 months of something is better than all of nothing.

Of course, you have to sound like you mean it. Talk to the client and make sure they are onside; after all, they have the box with the money in it.

And lesson for the future: you work on getting the rate you want, don't worry about what everybody else is on.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by mgrover View Post
              Thats a shame. Most agencies are on preferred supplier lists so agents take a fixed percentage. There are not many end clients around with proper morals like Goldmine Sucks. I dispise them - but very clever people.

Comment

Inneresting.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Well that's ok, if the rate you are on is the one you were happy with when you started...

Look at it this way - the client wants you, the agency wants the continuing income. You are not dropping your rate or you walk away. The agency then has to decide how to react, and logically will take the hit on the basis that 6 months of something is better than all of nothing.

Of course, you have to sound like you mean it. Talk to the client and make sure they are onside; after all, they have the box with the money in it.

And lesson for the future: you work on getting the rate you want, don't worry about what everybody else is on.
                  I am happy enough, I mean it's a sweet gig in troubled times. And I've not been contracting for very long only about a year or so, so I don't want to basically throw my toys out the pram and be immature about it.

I mean am not happy at the slice of the pie their getting, but I'll leave that till the next time they want to change the work I do and I'll ask for more.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Thats a shame. Most agencies are on preferred supplier lists so agents take a fixed percentage. There are not many end clients around with proper morals like Goldmine Sucks. I dispise them - but very clever people.
                  Meh easy come easy go.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Inneresting.
                  Oh how so? What part of the north are ya from btw
                  Last edited by mgrover; 14 April 2020, 08:54.

Comment

Did you discuss your rate with the client?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X