• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi Everyone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone

Hi Guys

First time on here, since I stumbled across the site. I was recently made redundant from my Support Manager role, and have had a couple of interviews and converstations around other similar permanent roles. I since though about contracting and have decided to give it a go.

I am very new to this way of working, and I have just been approached about an immediate start 1st line position for 2 months. I've worked out the hourly rate would work out as a lot less than my previous salary but I'm not sure whether to take this for now to get started and build up as it goes along.

Any advice would be great

Thanks
    Matthew

Lots of issues here. Firstly.. First line gigs aren't really contracting. They are temping at best. Awful rates and you'll get binned at the drop of a hat. I can't imagine they are much fun to do either. I would have said if you are skilled then avoid like the plague but any port in a storm at the moment I guess..

There is then the longer term issue of what it looks like on your CV for when the world does start returning to normal. A step back on your CV could be very harmful to you.

And then there is the whole learning how to be a contractor. I'm not a fan of people dipping in and out and giving it a go because there isn't anything about. It's a lot more complex than that.

But at the end of the day I guess it's down to what options you have in this climate.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X