• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Becoming a Project Manager...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Row View Post
    So this is my plan. I've been recruiting Technical Engineers across Systems, Software & Hardware, along with the odd Safety, ILS and Tech Pubs.

There are a lot of additional things I could get, but I wouldn't want to 'waste' a few thousand pound on an OU diploma and four years if it wouldn't really be considered.
    The OU is not a recognised route as far as I know. If you want bits of paper, go for the industry standards.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      The OU is not a recognised route as far as I know. If you want bits of paper, go for the industry standards.
      I've amazed at how many people have done or are doing diplomas, first degrees and even masters in subjects like Project Management. A terrible waste of time and money in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

How old are you OP? Are you still young enough to try apprenticeships routes. It's going to be extremely difficult to get a titled job off the bat. Even if a junior PM is advertised its likey they want someone with some skills or direction. They will generally be advertising for a position they want to fill, not to start someone from scrath even if it's titled junior.
        There's no age limit to apprenticeships AFAIK, although the government funding is skewed to under 25s. Apprenticeships can go up to Masters degree level and even beyond.

For a limited time you can get up to £18,000 funding towards some Masters degree level apprenticeships I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          I've amazed at how many people have done or are doing diplomas, first degrees and even masters in subjects like Project Management. A terrible waste of time and money in my opinion.
          I'm doing an MBA at the moment. I started it partly out of boredom and partly from a thirst for knowledge. I need the structure of the course as I don't have the discipline to read all the academic guff on my own without some direction. It's early days but am thoroughly enjoying it and it's already done what I hoped it would - which is open my eyes to areas, topics etc that I would never normally encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
            There's no age limit to apprenticeships AFAIK, although the government funding is skewed to under 25s. Apprenticeships can go up to Masters degree level and even beyond.

For a limited time you can get up to £18,000 funding towards some Masters degree level apprenticeships I believe.
            Absolutely correct but companies offering apprenticeships to all ages tend to look internally for their candidates. They've got people with a good idea of the business and are dedicated so why take a chance on external randoms. It's not common for an advertised apprenticeship role to be open to adults.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If I were you, I would choose Scrum Master and/or Test Manager route. They are achievable with your experience as both doesn't require much technical knowledge. They are purely managing people and the expectation of stakeholders.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                If I were you, I would choose Scrum Master and/or Test Manager route. They are achievable with your experience as both doesn't require much technical knowledge. They are purely managing people and the expectation of stakeholders.
                ^^ This is why everyone now has "Scrum Master" on their CV. It is essentially meaningless in the current market. Completely pointless some would say.

Even "Test Management" is in the bin as now developers, and their management, think that they can simply run a test automation suite and chuck their code into Production.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  ^^ This is why everyone now has "Scrum Master" on their CV. It is essentially meaningless in the current market. Completely pointless some would say.

Even "Test Management" is in the bin as now developers, and their management, think that they can simply run a test automation suite and chuck their code into Production.
                  I completely agree. At least these are the roles OP can try immediately with his/her known contacts without investing time, money and effort in PM courses that is probably going to give the same outcome.

All OP needs is a week to prepare for these roles and test the waters.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                    I completely agree. At least these are the roles OP can try immediately with his/her known contacts without investing time, money and effort in PM courses that is probably going to give the same outcome.

All OP needs is a week to prepare for these roles and test the waters.
                    True, but the market is jam-packed with so many other trying to do the same thing. This is a dreadful time to be looking if one doesn't have a strong CV.
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

No training needed. It's a piece of piss. Make a list of tulip that needs done, tell the c**ts that need to do it, what they have to do and when, make a colour coded chart of all the tulip and all the c**ts, make it look to the stakeholders like you did it all yourself. Job Done.
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X