• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    I've lost count of the number of times I've been aproached to work at AZ, mostly as a perm but once was as a contractor. Their whole recruiting process always seemed hopelessly bad and other people who I've passed on opportunities to have had a similar experience with them.

It wouldn't surprise me if AZ ended up being another GSK but you would think that a company operating in one of the most tightly regulated and compliance driven industries would surely be on top of such compliance?
    Regulation of the drugs vs keeping an eye on their contractors which are usually via small consultancies or in house recruitment teams are a world apart. I don't think they've a clue what their contractors are doing. If they did they wouldn't have them in posts for 8 years and counting. I know we say contractors are the same price as permies on the charge sheets but keeping them that long is just a waste of money.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Regulation of the drugs vs keeping an eye on their contractors which are usually via small consultancies or in house recruitment teams are a world apart. I don't think they've a clue what their contractors are doing. If they did they wouldn't have them in posts for 8 years and counting. I know we say contractors are the same price as permies on the charge sheets but keeping them that long is just a waste of money.
      I wasn't even specifically referring to drugs. From my experience at one pharma, even the IT projects side was ridiculously compliance heavy.

Comment

I wasn't even specifically referring to drugs. From my experience at one pharma, even the IT projects side was ridiculously compliance heavy.
        Interesting. Didn't see that but maybe not exposed to enough of the business to come across it.

Comment

Welcome.

Contracting is going to get seriously tougher in the years to come. Market will shrink and a majority of roles will be inside so 30 to 40% cut in income. Rocking on for years in outside gigs will be a thing of the past.

If I had the opportunity and flexibility to move the family anywhere to follow the lifestyle I'd be gone in a heartbeat.
          Thank you for the advice.
          Not what I want to hear, but better to hear the honest truth.

Comment

1. Are the Conservatives ideologically committed to IR35? Will they reverse it, if it's evident that it's causing economic damage?
            2. It's unlikely the Conservatives will last another 3 years, certainly not Boris Johnson. How likely is Labour to reverse it?
            Last edited by Pragmatist; 12 February 2021, 21:13. Reason: Too long

Comment

Sorry, I meant to add that my last remaining UK client - is now wobbling over IR35.

This is another reversal and very much unexpected.

I have prepared for this situation financially for years, so I'm not panicking, but the future in the UK is starting to look very bleak indeed.

Comment

To long. Didn't read.

1. No
                2. Dunno

HTH

Comment

That is true. IT projects delivering certain systems need to be regulated and consistently built to a specified standard. If a system isn't properly built it could affect the outcome of trials, give false readings, etc. System development and testing has to be robust to make sure that any upgrades don't affect expected outcomes. You almost have to think of the IT as being part of the overall experimental method.

Comment

Originally posted by Pragmatist View Post

Questions
                    1. Are the Conservatives ideologically committed to IR35? Will they reverse it, if it's evident that it's causing economic damage?
                    2. It's unlikely the Conservatives will last another 3 years, certainly not Boris Johnson. How likely is Labour to reverse it?
                    1. You're forgetting that the HMRC tail is wagging the HMT dog. It's gone beyond which flavour of government is in the hot seat.
                    2. Labour were the party who introduced the legislation...

Comment

Welcome.

Contracting is going to get seriously tougher in the years to come. Market will shrink and a majority of roles will be inside so 30 to 40% cut in income. Rocking on for years in outside gigs will be a thing of the past.

If I had the opportunity and flexibility to move the family anywhere to follow the lifestyle I'd be gone in a heartbeat.
                      I've been looking around for other opinions and most contractors seem clueless about IR35 and the implications, or just have their head in the sand.
                      It's actually really frustrating as it's so difficult to find informed opinions.

I've been keeping an eye on the Off-Payroll link ShandyDrinker provided and it's becoming clearer that you were accurate with your post.
                      In fact, it seems worse - way more blanket bans than I expected. The job market is dead and I'm not even seeing any of these Inside IR35 roles.

I've started discussing emigration with the wife and we are putting a plan together, I just don't see a future here now.

Comment

Working...
                      X