• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Netiquette: A guide for newbies

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Just add "site:forums.contractoruk.com" at the end of your search terms, and it will only look on here.

(Thanks FAQQer...)
    Furthermore, you can add a path, so for example
    Code:
    site:forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts
    would restrict your search to just this area, which can be handy if there's a lot of noise from General or LR obscuring the useful results.

Example: Prince2 with clutter, Prince2 without clutter.

Comment

Could you create a similar thread for regulars (possibly agents) and start it with:

"There is no need to repeat entire posts within the body of your response. Too many and too large quotes hampers the readability of our busy and populated message threads."

Some people just do not get it.

Thanks from someone who occasionally reads the forum from a mobile device.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
        Could you create a similar thread for regulars (possibly agents) and start it with:

"There is no need to repeat entire posts within the body of your response. Too many and too large quotes hampers the readability of our busy and populated message threads."

Some people just do not get it.

Thanks from someone who occasionally reads the forum from a mobile device.
        WLS

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          The video currently comes up with "An error occurred, please try again later.".

Is anyone else seeing this?
          Mystery solved. Youtube is borking with Opera, but fine with Safari and FF.

(Though in Safari Youtube decided that I'm in Poland and did I want to set my filter for that? WTF ??? I'm nowhere near Poland)

Yank Geography I
          Yank Geography II

P.S. That site has some definite NSFW stuff, so don't go wandering around there if you are at work.

P.P.S.
          Cojak - I liked the second video. Ta muchly for that.
          Last edited by Sysman; 26 March 2010, 16:49.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Don't be surprised when none of your posts appear for a few days, and when they do, only one in four has been passed through, but not including the on-topic ones regarding issues about getting paid, for example.
            You know what you wanna do with that right, you wanna put a bangin' donk on it!
            Put a donk on it!

Comment

Good work, cojak

It's a pretty obvious one but maybe you could add a link to the first timers guide too. http://www.contractoruk.com/first_timers/index.html
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                Good work, cojak

It's a pretty obvious one but maybe you could add a link to the first timers guide too. http://www.contractoruk.com/first_timers/index.html
                Done!
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Maybe you should add a "guide to treating newbies" for the long standing members on here.

I lurked for quite a long while before registering : mainly because I thought some of the posts got quite acerbic early on and although I try and read these things "tongue in cheek", and am reasonably thick skinned, I didn't fancy being at the brunt.

Still, I'm bored on the bench, and thinking I would participate I registered and set forth. Added to a couple of reputations, made an effort to try and search before asking questions, usual newbie stuff.

Went to update my profile and see I have managed to acquire a couple of negative reps already on newbie questions. To add insult to injury, one came from someone I gave a positive too ( not that feedback needs to be reciprocal ).

So mad.

Cut the newbies some slack and we may end up becoming useful / entertaining regulars.
                  If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post

So mad.

Cut the newbies some slack and we may end up becoming useful / entertaining regulars.
                    Give as good as you get and you'll be fine. Think of it as contractor training.

Hugs.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post

So mad.

There there... We are just having a bit of fun. Rep is utterly useless now as one person can neg you right to the bottom and also pos you right to the top. There are about 8 stages which were fun to get but it's a bit out of control now. We would have pos'd you back up. Pos rep is worth a lot more than neg rep so would have got you back on track in no time... but it's still useless. The fact were are included you in some CUK shenanigans is a good thing. Nothing nasty or negative has been said so all you need to do is just join in.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X