• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Netiquette: A guide for newbies

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUK Netiquette: A guide for newbies

Welcome to CUK!

If you have been lurking around CUK (and if you haven't I would recommend a glance in the professional forums AND General) you might have noticed one or two of the regular become a tad tetchy (or from your point of view, rude) over some of the threads that newbies have been posting lately. This might have stopped you from posting your own question for fear of getting flamed the same way.

Actually if you look more closely at many of the threads asking similar questions, you might also have noticed that this is not always the case. We will give full, helpful and occasionally encouraging advice without (apparent) rhyme or reason.

So I thought that I’d break it down to encourage newbies to ask questions without the regulars resorting to or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdYOAiCf-80 or even http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TxwnPjB0U
    1. The request/question. Generally the question can be broad general (“How are you finding the market?”), broad personal (“I need help with my CV”) or specific personal (“I gave my CV to an agent who changed it before sending it the client, what should I do?”). Decide which type is yours.
    2. First look at the First-timers guide on this website; this ought to give you much of your initial information.
    3. If your question is broad, first read the page of the forum you’re in – you’ll be amazed at how many general CV threads are started within minutes of each other – we can see that posters haven’t bothered looking. That irritates us.
    4. If your question is slightly different, start a new thread that says "I've read in <original thread> blah, but I have a slightly different question..."
    5. Now try your luck and use Search in both the forum and on the home page – you still might find what you are looking for.
    6. If nothing comes up, now post your question (we can generally tell by the question whether you’ve done the 1st 4 steps, but not always so mention that you've looked.)
    7. If your question is specific personal (such as the Grievance question in Accounts/Legal) – ask away. We will always try to help with these.

So basically, we will help where we can but we dislike lazy posting. If you find the above steps too much of a hassle, you deserve all you get.

HTH

PS - Using Google to search CUK:
    1) Just add "site:forums.contractoruk.com" at the end of your search terms, and it will only look on here. (Ta, FAQQer).
    2) To specify a particular forum add site:forums.contractoruk.com/forum-name eg "site:forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts" (Ta, NickFitz).
    Last edited by cojak; 22 March 2010, 07:59. Reason: Amended to include FAQQer's & NF's suggestion.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    If your question is slightly different, add it to the bottom of a post that’s already there – that’s ok, it shows you’ve looked and we’ll respond happily.
    I disagree - if the question is different, I prefer to see a new thread that says "I've read in <original thread> blah, but I have a slightly different question..."

It's too easy to get off topic if people put their slight differences (which turn out to be big differences) in other people's threads - which might upset the OP.

Might I suggest a sticky for this, admin?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      I disagree - if the question is different, I prefer to see a new thread that says "I've read in <original thread> blah, but I have a slightly different question..."

It's too easy to get off topic if people put their slight differences (which turn out to be big differences) in other people's threads - which might upset the OP.
      Fair enoughski...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Thats brilliant!!! LOL I likey I likey!! Music made my ears bleed after about 30 seconds though.

I love the line at the end of the vid 'Congratulations you are no longer a jerk' Wonder if I can get away with that at one of my training sessions??

Thank you Cojak. Smashin post!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That was my very 1st attempt on music software and only 15 minutes at that! (I like to think it's a bit of an earworm, though...)

No expense spent!

Comment

That was my very 1st attempt on music software and only 15 minutes at that!

No expense spent!
            I don't mean to be rude, it is far and above anything I could even think of doing so very impressive but you know me, can't just give a plain compliment without a bit of a moan
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I vote for this to be made sticky.
              Loopy Loo

Comment

That was my very 1st attempt on music software and only 15 minutes at that! (I like to think it's a bit of an earworm, though...)

No expense spent!
                2nd, surely? I thought the first one had swearing
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  2nd, surely? I thought the first one had swearing
                  Err - true...

Comment

As an additional piece of CUK netiquette - if your question relates to agent behaviour, it's worth reading this excellent post first.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X